Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobk View Post
    not sure what has changed but i do now have spark but still not starting even with starter fluid and spark looks like it could be better charging battery up now to test again with full charge. could reeds go bad and cause no starting? i even sprayed starter fluid in the 1st piston and no start. thinking if the reeds are locked up it might not be getting enough oxygen?

also found out the last owner of the waverunner had sucked up a anchor rope locking it up in the past. it has run many times since than but thought it might help lead me to the actual problem i'm dealing with if that could have anything to do with hard start.

also have two mfd that when trying to start will go through the whole rpm start up thing every now and then trying to start?
    The MFD self-rebooting means there is a problem in the electrical system. Typically a bad connection, corrosion, or something else that is allowing the electrical system voltage to fluctuate a lot more than is normal.

Do NOT use starter fluid on these engines. It will not help with the diagnostics and you can cause a serious backfire.

Have you checked compression?

compression is good 121ish for all three. battery is more charged and the spark is a little stronger looking but intermittent doesnt seem to go off enough for how many rotations are going on when trying to start. is there a way to test the mfd as the problem i got two and they both do that reboot after a few tries restarting. the big parts are all new. jsut the two smaller harness are the only thing i havent replaced.

its a 2000 so i dont need to do that orange wire mod that is for the older models?

+1

its a 2000 so i dont need to do that orange wire mod that is for the older models?
    Keep all the Red/Purple wires connected together, at least until you get the engine starting and running.

since i am having trouble with the mfd is there a way to bypass it to see if thats the only problem? or a ohms test or something just for it. thanks for all your help this project has been a 3 years fail on my part.

+1
    since i am having trouble with the mfd is there a way to bypass it to see if thats the only problem?

Yes, just read up on your particular MFD type in the MFD section, found here

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....nction-display

running all the ohms test and everything is checking out. got spark but not starting and the spark is in consistent. i want to but new spark plugs but i can take them out and put them in my honda mower and it runs with them so i think they are okay as well they are the recommended ones the manual says to use. it is like i just cant win with this thing. couldnt find any test for the mfd in that link just reset which is reading correct battery voltage. so not sure if that would actually help. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yes, just read up on your particular MFD type in the MFD section, found here

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....nction-display

so i have found something finally that could be the source of my problems the brown solenoid has also not been replaced but i havent looked in to it much bc it does turn over when i try and start it. but i gave the red wires a good tug and noticed the red power line going in to is moved a little. so i tried to tighten it and it didnt tighten bc the bolt is stripped. I'm thinking with that been some what loose that could cause small surges being why my mfd goes through the start up process every couple of times i push the start button. i remember seeing some where that the black solenoids are no good and i need to find a brown one - is that true or are the black ones fine?

+1
    so i have found something finally that could be the source of my problems the brown solenoid has also not been replaced but i havent looked in to it much bc it does turn over when i try and start it. but i gave the red wires a good tug and noticed the red power line going in to is moved a little. so i tried to tighten it and it didnt tighten bc the bolt is stripped. I'm thinking with that been some what loose that could cause small surges being why my mfd goes through the start up process every couple of times i push the start button.

i remember seeing some where that the black solenoids are no good and i need to find a brown one - is that true or are the black ones fine?
    Brown solenoid is fine. Brown happened in between the factory originals (black with metal) and the final version (black all plastic).

The all black plastic solenoid, with no metal backing plate is better. These happen to be black, just much better than the old original solenoids, which were also black.

Solenoids are also covered in the linked web site

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Brown solenoid is fine. Brown happened in between the factory originals (black with metal) and the final version (black all plastic).

The all black plastic solenoid, with no metal backing plate is better. These happen to be black, just much better than the old original solenoids, which were also black.

Solenoids are also covered in the linked web site
    so i got the new solenoid and it cracks well. and was still getting intermittent spark. and with the ohms test on the ground i was getting .2 to .5 resistance between ground board and the engine. but i had no idea what to do next i thought there would be no harm in clipping the ground board to the engine with a separate wire i had and sure enough i was getting strong and fast sparking. but still no actually running. i have replaced all gas lines and carb gaskets and see gas squirting from the brass nozzles. i did in the past use starter fluid. could that cause the reeds to go bad. i havent replaced the reeds. or i'm i missing something?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information