Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Need clarification ...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I think this topic deserves its own thread.

There is often confusion regarding the four different ignitions systems on the red domestic Polaris PWC engines.

Blue Fuji engines are not covered in this thread.

Domestic carburetor engines made from 2000 to 2004 use a newer and more reliable CDI system. Older domestic engines that have the
    Ignition System Update Kit installed also use this newer CDI system.

Domestic engines made from 1996 to 1999, that do not have the Ignition Update Kit installed, use a different CDI and stator design.

The 1996-1999 two cylinder engines also have a different ignition coil design than the newer system.

There are two different types of stators for the domestic engines with CDI.

The original domestic ignition CDI+stator design was factory installed from 1996-1999 on all two cylinder engines, and the 900cc and 1050cc three cylinder engines.

The 1999 model year 1165cc '1200' engines already the 'newer' ignition type, so there is no update kit for them.

The Ignition System Update Kit, and all 2000-2004 domestic CDI ignitions use a different stator and CDI configuration.

The wire connections, and the ohm testing, are different for the two types.

Note that the parts from original and newer design ignition systems can not be mixed together. New CDI must be used with new stator, old CDI with old stator.

For the two cylinder engines, the ignition coils are also different, and the new coil type must be used with new CDI, old coil type with old CDI.

Note: If you need to replace just the stator on a 1996-1999 domestic engine that already has the Update Kit, you may be able to substitute a 2000 and later stator. Be aware that the 2000 and newer stator cover seals around the stator cable differently that the 1996-1999 covers, so you may have to finesse the cable sealing. Click here for some more details.

If you determine that you need to purchase an Ignition Update Kit, or replacement parts, they can be purchased from any Polaris OEM parts source, including those listed here;
    Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Does the Hurricane (SL 700) require a different magneto with different degree of advancement if it has 1 carb or 2 carb set up??? Is the CDI the same for either set up as well?

Looking for a Polaris P/N 4010543 CDI. Any suggestions where to maybe find one? All help appreciated since I am not currently having any. It is for a 2000 Polaris Genesis Carb. 1200.

i have an 04 polaris freedom with no spark and i was wondering if any buddy had an cdi output test to verify if the cdi is working properly i've replaced the stator and done every resistance test inthe book any other suggestion?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The only test for a CDI is to swap it with one that you know is good

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gonguam View Post
    i have an 04 polaris freedom with no spark and i was wondering if any buddy had an cdi output test to verify if the cdi is working properly i've replaced the stator and done every resistance test inthe book any other suggestion?
    You could check the voltage going to the coil,one of the 2 black with white stripe wires should have 240-300 volts while cranking.
    Have you taken a good look at the inline connecter for the stator ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    You could check the voltage going to the coil,one of the 2 black with white stripe wires should have 240-300 volts while cranking.
    Have you taken a good look at the inline connecter for the stator ?
    i just noticed the quote i am having spark issues with my 2002 freedom and was wondering should both wire from cdi to coil have charge or is one power and the other earth ,also noticed the quote about the inline connector can you tell me if their is a common problem with those as i would love to get my ski running
    i have replaced both lr modules so far and i am wondering if the coil or the cdi is blown as i have power from magneto when cranking from purple wire (5.5)
    so if anyone can shed a bit of light on my problem that would be great I WILL BE GOING HOME TONIGHT WITH A 9 VOLT BATTERY AND TRYING TO BYPASS THE CDI TO SEE IF I CAN START SKI ,HOPEFULLY IT WILL GET ME CLOSER TO THE PROBLEM

I am new to this site and new to jet skis. I bought a 97 SL900 with no spark. I have read all the post regarding this problem and made the tests that were recomended. The only thing that test differently than it should are the coils. They tested .8 ohms and not .35 like the post said. does this sound like my problem? it seems very close to what it should be.

This thread is gold regardless of the age!!!!! I just bought a 2000 polaris virage tx and im getting voltage going into my cdi but nothing coming out. My manual states the part number should be 4010317 and the one installed currently is 4010379 I'm guessing the previous owner crossed old (non gen III) parts with newer parts causing the problem (no power at the spark plug) Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I'm new

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretchp2 View Post
    This thread is gold regardless of the age!!!!! I just bought a 2000 polaris virage tx and im getting voltage going into my cdi but nothing coming out. My manual states the part number should be 4010317 and the one installed currently is 4010379 I'm guessing the previous owner crossed old (non gen III) parts with newer parts causing the problem (no power at the spark plug) Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I'm new
    Your original post and my reply has been moved to here.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...25#post2542125

Hello, I havex45withoutsparks. the battery isgood. Did all the testsfrom the manualandallthat I have readhere. On the brown wireat start-up of8-9volts.The sparkappearsvery rarelyonone or two spark plugs.Hooked upa coilfroma single-cylinder engine. Hooked onherpower and control. Nowthere is onlysparkwhenI releasethe start button. Batteryis good,when you starton the brown wire8-9voltsonthe purplered wire11volts, connected a 9 volt battery, nothing has changed.Twicewasthe sparkfor a few seconds.Nativeonthe ignition coilthere is no spark.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information