Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by romes View Post
    do i just move it on that board? does it matter where I place it?
    Disconnect the Red/Purple wire that comes out of the CDI where it connects with Orange. Just pull that single connection apart.

Now connect that loose Red/Purple wire end to any of the available Red/Purple terminals.

The connection can be temporary, we just want to confirm that the engine will start up.

ok i will give that a try, i am going out of town for the weekend and i will ley you know on sunday how it works!! thanks alot for all your help and time its much appreciated!! i am a marine mechanic but this shit baffles me!!

ok, i changed that module, and i am getting 10.10v out of it, and still no spark! i have 2 diffrent cdi one ends with 180 and the other ends with 170 no writing on the back of them!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Disconnect the Red/Purple wire that comes out of the CDI where it connects with Orange. Just pull that single connection apart.

Now connect that loose Red/Purple wire end to any of the available Red/Purple terminals.

The connection can be temporary, we just want to confirm that the engine will start up.
    ok, i changed that module, and i am getting 10.10v out of it, and still no spark!

i have 2 different cdi one ends with 180 and the other ends with 170 no writing on the back of them!
    Did you do the check described above?

10.10 volts is still not enough to generate spark.

CDI requires over 10.5 volts to create spark.

ok, i figured it out!! i had tried a new cdi, new coils, new stator than i tried that new module, and still no spark! well i took out the multi meter and started to test everything again! my stator was bad, so i took it back to polaris and got a new one and now it has spark and runs with no problem! thanks alot for all your time, and help! oh ya and there is some kinda update with a jumper wire from the ground wire from the stator to the box than from the box to the cdi? i was told to do that, apparently thats polaris fix for the stators heating up and failing!! oh ya but on my dash it keeps flashing HOT did you ever see that before?

+1
    ... there is some kinda update with a jumper wire from the ground wire from the stator to the box than from the box to the cdi?

i was told to do that, apparently that's Polaris' fix for the stators heating up and failing!!

...my dash it keeps flashing HOT did you ever see that before?
    Check the Tan wire that runs to the heat sensor on the engine. If the wire is shorted or rubbing against the engine, it will signal hot.

Also check the Tan wires inside the electrical box.

What exactly is this Polaris wiring 'fix' that you are talking about?

ok i will check that tan wire, its flashing even before i start it! and that fix they told me about was from the stator the black wire has be ground to the box first than from the box to the black wire on the CDI!!! apparently that wil fix the stator overheating problems!

+1

Arrow Remove/disconnect separate ground wire between battery & electrical box on domestic

ok i will check that tan wire, its flashing even before i start it!

and that fix they told me about was from the stator the black wire has be ground to the box first than from the box to the black wire on the CDI!
    It is also possible that the sensor on the end of the Tan wire has failed.

If you remove the sensor from the engine, and isolate it from touching the engine, the HOT signal should go away. If it does, the sensor is bad.

As far as I know, the black wire from the stator always goes directly to the black terminal. The CDI black wire also connects to the same black terminal group. This is the factory standard wiring configuration.

There was an update/change which involved removing a separate black wire, that connected directly between the electrical box and the battery negative post.

Part of the instructions for the Ignition System Update Kit;

"...Locate the ground wire between the battery negative and electrical box terminal board. Disconnect or cut ground wire. Wrap remaining wire or open end in electrical tape and secure away from any source of ground. Failure to do so may cause premature stator failure..."

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    so i took it back to polaris and got a new one and now it has spark and runs with no problem!
    dude where/when(1999-no prob) do you live that you can just pop over to the polaris place and have them change your stator out for a new 1 from there shelf
    and what did that cost if i can ask???
    thanks
    matt

I have a 1999 Polaris SLX 1050, i picked up for cheap and put a new piston in it and got it running but it doesnt have spark on the PTO Cylinder. any idea why, It doesnt have the updated stator or CDI yet but im trying to figure out how to test the old ones, would a bad CDI or stator cause no spark in only one of the Three cylinder, I checked the coils and they are good. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information