Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks for sharing, quite helpful.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Bill, I figured I would post on the forum for once instead of PM'ing you like a mad man. I followed both of your acc. pump post and this t-handle installation post and I have to say, it was a piece of cake. Had no problems what so ever and pretty much followed your instructions word for word. A suggestion for anyone doing everything at once (i did carb rebuild, acc pump removal, and t-handles) When drilling and tapping the tamper plugs, I tapped them to the same size as the screws that held the acc pump in place, then I screwed them in and when they made contact with the adjustment screw, I kept tightening it and simply used it like a gear puller. once the threads of the screw bottomed out, I just grabbed it with my fingers, plug attatched and done. No prying or pulling needed.
    the only issue I have a question about is that when the high speed t-handle is screwed in, it hits the "runner" just to the right in the picture, which seems to keep it from being fully seated. I'm just curious how this affects the ability to get an accurate starting point for the base adjustments most ppl are using. Any suggestions? Agaian, thanks for all of your fantastic information and help you've passed along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb%20154.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	180357  

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    I believe you have the position of your High and Low speed screws mixed up. The longer ones (High speed) goes on the top, and the shorter ones (Low speed) goes on the bottom. (The top being the side of the carbs you see when looking down at the engine, as in the pic you have)

Name:	highspeed.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	180366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lowspeed.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	180367  

If thats the case then Riva had all of my high speed handles marked low speed and my low speed handles marked high. I could see this maybe happening with one, but not all six. I also had no trouble with the "h" and the "L" marking on the carb body. I suppose I can double check but as I stated before, if thats the case then Riva might want to check their inventory.

Okay, just went out and checked, long in High, short in Low, all is good, but still have original issue.

P.S My Dad had a 73 Torino and of all the cars he ever talked about that seemed to be his favorite. He ordered it from the factotry new. I've always thought it would be cool to track it down and see where it went. Nice car tmg97gp.

+1

Thumbs up

Make sure you have the right adjusters, Should have 3 of each, As It shows in the top pic, the longer ones are the high speeds.(look at the comparison in the pics that I posted above) I got ahold of that car in 1983, I am the second owner. Thanks!!

+1
    Just for clarity compare them to the OEM adjusters, The brass ones are the high's the Stainless ones are the lows. Match the tips up.

Yup doubel checked everything. Like I said, there was never any question about them being in the right spot, but the high adjusters handle hits the runner before the adjuster gets completely snug. I can hear and feel the spring start to tension up but the adjuster definatly has another maybe 1/4 turn or less before it's bottomed out and snug. Mind you, I am not "tightening" these but turning them gently untill they stop. theres is little force behind this action. any other thoughts? Just makes me nervous about having an acuratestarting point.

Name:	IMG_1779.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	180484  

+1

Question

Did you get the High speed screws seated? Do all 3 of them hit as you turn them in?

Quote Originally Posted by tmg97gp View Post
    Did you get the High speed screws seated? Do all 3 of them hit as you turn them in?
    Yes. all three hit. I honestly haven't messed with it anymore but I need to figure out why they hit if nobody else has had this issue.

+1
    I use a marker (sharpie) and mark the ends of the adjuster screw then thread it in until it touches. Then take it back out and check to see where it rubs the ink off the adjuster. Do this lightly never force or use pressure on the adjuster screw. Something is definitely askew if this is hitting before it bottoms out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information