Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Insurance is a must, my first new rxp, went into Mc Donalds to hit head and order some chow and "POOF" GONE.................

+1
    Just to add my 2 cents but more so jet _boats_ then skis.

Do not follow _any_ prop driven boat too close! If they cut their throttle, it's like they slammed on the brakes, your jet will take far longer to stop and you will turn into his tender sitting on his swim platform! I'm new to pwc's but have had a SeaDoo boat for years. I had to train myself how to use reverse as brakes (Merc reverse gates are very stout). I had a good friend want to say something to me so he pulled in front of me and cut his engine. First instinct? Cut your own engine and BOOM! No steering and a coasting distance 5 times his. No damage except my nerves and his ears.

I find my new to me RX doesn't coast as bad as the Challenger, but still far further then any I/O powered boats I've owned.

Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents but more so jet _boats_ then skis.

Do not follow _any_ prop driven boat too close! If they cut their throttle, it's like they slammed on the brakes, your jet will take far longer to stop and you will turn into his tender sitting on his swim platform! I'm new to pwc's but have had a SeaDoo boat for years. I had to train myself how to use reverse as brakes (Merc reverse gates are very stout). I had a good friend want to say something to me so he pulled in front of me and cut his engine. First instinct? Cut your own engine and BOOM! No steering and a coasting distance 5 times his. No damage except my nerves and his ears.

I find my new to me RX doesn't coast as bad as the Challenger, but still far further then any I/O powered boats I've owned.

Greg
    Great points Greg,
    this is one of the big reasons Sea-Doo has developed its own braking system for the PWC, and it works! I still remember when singer Gloria Estefan was in her powerboat off Miami Beach and the 29 year old jet-skier was killed by her boat...
    http://www.rbbi.com/folders/acc/estefan.htm

Great post....I personally would love to get the new IS but it is just to expensive....brakes are a good idea but you really do not need them on a jet ski if you know how to ride..when you let off the gas you stop fairly quick...
    I could see the braking system working maybe in slower riding times like docking, ect....I am always real aware when around docks to grab somethign and stop my ski from hitting the dock even at a real real slow spead I dont like it....

On my old xp (do not own anymore) I think I made the worst mistake anyone could make!! I was real young (16) and towing a friend...I saw myself heading towards the rope and tried to turn the engine off real quick before it got sucked up but it was to late...the rope got sucked up...
    We went back to a friends and took off the grate to cut the rope off/out..there were 4 screws that connected my screen/grate to the hull...While taking it off one was losted...so we went ahead and put the three screws back in and put her back in the water

It was a real cheap ski but man that was stupid....water was coming in from the screw hole and really damaged performance...it was never the same....That had to be my dumba$$ moment...I def will not be doing that on my skis I will be buying

+1
    Insurance!!!

Loaning the ski!!!

Approx 3 weeks after getting the new ski, it was related in the death of my 15 year-old sister-in-law by way of a tubing accident and a cypress tree. Long story, and no, I was on shore. A friend of the family was riding.

3 weeks after buying the ski!

Get insurance.

+1
    jpeconsult,
    wow, I am so sorry to hear that, very sorry.

still kicking ass and taking names! Pale Rider's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Insurance!!!

Loaning the ski!!!

Approx 3 weeks after getting the new ski, it was related in the death of my 15 year-old sister-in-law by way of a tubing accident and a cypress tree. Long story, and no, I was on shore. A friend of the family was riding.

3 weeks after buying the ski!

Get insurance.
    Wow Jeremy! sorry to hear this...

and Very Good post YoYamma!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyc1423 View Post
    Great post....I personally would love to get the new IS but it is just to expensive....brakes are a good idea but you really do not need them on a jet ski if you know how to ride..when you let off the gas you stop fairly quick...
    I could see the braking system working maybe in slower riding times like docking, ect....I am always real aware when around docks to grab somethign and stop my ski from hitting the dock even at a real real slow spead I dont like it....
    Ill tell you my rxp stops way faster then my seadoo boat....

These are all the great points to save all the damages and repairs from your new water vehicle boat and get it all the professional boat biking tips and techniques to prevent all the contingencies and accidents as well.

This thread is a good reminder since the weather's turning and we're all going start letting off winter steam and really let it rip without thinking due to adrenaline overload.

NOBODY borrows my ski except my bud who has twice the experience I have and that's when we're riding together so we can help each other. KIDS are yelled and sworn at if they ask and I also fart in their general direction. My sister in law thinks she knows how to ride since she rented a few times in CA and now lives on the cape. And I don't think an RXP-X is a good machine for a bubble headed bleach blonde to joy ride at my expense. She has no clue and would run up the beach under throttle. I'm sure she'd think nothing of not paying for the damage since her and her hubby are out straight financially not to mention my down time. We even had two doofus Spaniards vacationing off the Vineyard wanting to trade a ride from their rental for a ride on my buddies RXP. We selected a few good Amercian George Carlin adverbs and adjectives to ask them how stupid they really are. Dam ethnics.

The only one I'll let try it is my wife who has no experience but financed it for me so I owe her. She has a 158 IQ and has healthy fears for my machine's performance so she's trustworthy.

As far as submerged stuff you can't avoid it. I hit something and it split the hull of my new at the time 2007 RXP right down the middle, potato chipped the inside of the hull, busted the motor mount and tunnel.

Insurance rocks!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information