Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

K447: Okay, then everything seems to be fine...

I will have to see when I have the engine put back together, wheter it wants to start or not...
    Thanks for all your help so far...

Jesper

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 Move CDI Red/Purple wire to Orange for reliable restarts

Quote Originally Posted by Syswatch View Post
    ...I will have to see when I have the engine put back together, whether it wants to start or not...
    Connect the CDI Red/Purple wire according to Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 (page 43)

The Service Bulletin method, which is the preferred method for reliable warm re-starts, is to connect the Red/Purple wire coming out of the CDI (and only that Red/Purple wire) to the Orange wire terminal.

This ensures the CDI fully powers down when the engine stops (since the Orange wire does not supply power when engine is stopped). This change ensures that the CDI (and the engine) re-starts reliably every time.

This corrects a problem with the original factory wiring, where the CDI was always powered from the main Red/Purple battery power connection. Sometimes the CDI would not allow the engine to restart, until a long time had passed. The change to the orange wire connection prevents this problem.

Note: To actually make this wiring change you will need to create a short adapter wire. The CDI has a bullet connector on the Red/Purple wire end and the adapter wire will allow you to connect that bullet wire to the Orange tab terminal on the terminal board.

The adapter wire will have a mating bullet connector on one end, female tab crimp connector on the other end. Use insulated crimp connectors. Just need a few inches of insulated stranded 16 gauge wire between the connectors.

After the wiring change, all Red/Purple wires are still connected together, EXCEPT for the single Red/Purple wire that comes directly out of the CDI module. That CDI wire goes through the adapter wire and now connects to the Orange tab terminal group.

I is also critical that the LR module and the Orange wire output from the LR module be working correctly. That LR module is now powering the CDI and the bilge pump.
    Last edited by K447; 04-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.

a question about the updated ignition someone from another website told me to look at the plug boot, either smooth molded or ngk type with zip ties? i replace the coil on my 2 years ago told them i had the updated ignition and then this year replaced the stator. now no spark? if the coil wasent the updated one would that cause no spark? i'll look on the back of the coil to from what i understand writing on the back means updated coil?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sclater04 View Post
    a question about the updated ignition someone from another website told me to look at the plug boot, either smooth molded or ngk type with zip ties?

I replace the coil on my 2 years ago told them i had the updated ignition and then this year replaced the stator.

now no spark? if the coil wasn't the updated one would that cause no spark? I'll look on the back of the coil to from what i understand writing on the back means updated coil?
    Whoa - slow down there

Welcome to the Hulk!

Have you found the Polaris Service Manuals?

What year and model Polaris do you have?

Do you know for certain whether the Ignition Update Kit has been installed?

What part number is on the ignition coil, and on the CDI (check both sides)?

Depending on the model you have, the Ignition Update would involve the CDI, the flywheel stator (magneto), and if it is a two cylinder engine, also the ignition coil.

All the Update parts are installed as a set.

Some update CDI had tow part numbers, one marked by hand in yellow or white, sometimes on the back side.

As far as I know, the two cylinder update ignition coils only have one marking. There was no update for the three cylinder ignition coils.

Did the no-spark condition happen right after you installed or changed something, or all by itself?

The updated ignition systems will have the smooth pale orange spark plug boots on them and not the ngk boots with the zip ties thats for 2 cyl. none of the 1050 update kits came with new coils. the windings are heavier on the stater on the updated ones.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Here's another 447 that was remarked. One I got from Randy,left over from a update kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	216575  

k447 you are a champ i have looking for picture inside the box explaining colour and what its for just seen what you are explaining and wanted to know why it was like that i was thinking it had been bodged up thanks champ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information