Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    +1
    OK. After a full day of testing here are the results

elevation 236 ft temp 80 degrees my 5 skegged plate 74.0 @7170 both directions

Jim's plate 85 73.4 @7170 both directions I did get 73.9 on this plate a week ago in 75 weather. I wonder if it needed polishing after each use to maintain optimal performance.

Skegless speed plate 95 74 at 7180 one direction and 73.8 @ 7170 the other direction. Seems there was a cool pocket of air on one side of the lake conditions were glass to very slight ripple for these three tests

Later in the day Mark dragged out a Pistonwash special. I had no way to check the angle but that plate was well over 5. It was already 103 and the water was chopped up slightly. The ski porpoised quite abit but I was able to get some runs in. It managed to pull 73.2 @ 7170. My ski seemed to want to run @ 7170 rpm's no matter what.

I did try the 87 mm nozzle vs. the 85 mm nozzle. The 87 mm nozzle went 72.6 it was 103 for this as well. I am of the opinion the 87mm nozzle is 1 mph slower.

The Jim's plate is a good all around plate and probably is the best choice for a ported 1300 or choppy water, this is due to the angle and the sharpness of the skegs. It will probably go on my ported 1300 project ski.

The 5 skegged plate seemed to work well on my setup. Its the plate that came home on the ski.

I have some more mods I am going to try on my skegged plate. After a lengthy discussion with Mark it seems the two flat areas that have the mount holes should match the angle of the center. I'll measure it and see what it is and let you all know.

Joe's RXP was impressive. It runs in the 72 range, gets there in a hurry. It was a workout for the GPR. As the water got rougher and Joes gas tank got lower and I filled my ski they were about even. Earlier I had a little on top over him. The rougher water speeds would have probably been easier to maintain with the Jim's plate. My ski held on good from the hole, a lot better than I expected.

We had a good day it was good to see Joe and Mark

+1
    wOw, thats cool Spud, good information ! Ya'll had a good day !

great numbers too

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    hello Spud, Add 40 thousands shims in the front of the plate only. Make sure the plate does not sit below the pump shoe on the sides. And you will see about another .7 mph gain Thank you, Jim

+1
    How much fuel (level) did you maintain during testing?

+1
    Hey spud..good test...great info....what prop are you running?.....i added the shims to the front only on my jims plate and it seemed to pick up..had to step sponsons after that mod..pefect ski now.......

+1
    Gas tank on buzzer.

Solas Dynafly 14/20 high pressure pump.

stock carbs, ignition. Only thing added to engine is head and VF-3's

The Jim's plate is even with my Pump shoe. The only way to create more angle is to machine the rear bosses. I'm not making any changes to that plate.

Good info Spud! I'm interested in what you find as far as the grates go. Like to know how the 1200 grate with the wings trimmed back compares to the stock grate.

+1
    That will have to be another trip. Actually I was so happy hanging with the RXP from the hole on that I think I'll leave the 800 only sanded grate in. We actually took off side by side maybe 2 lengths max to the RXP.

I can tell you this the 800 grate with the wings cut back bucks so bad at 78 to 80. It is not worth the cut guys trust me don't do it. The time you get rid of the buck you are back to the original speeds you were before you cut the wings

+1
    Spud,
    That was a whirlwind fun time. Maybe next time I'll change my dead throttle cable BEFORE the trip.

The one that shop made for $25 worked okay. It wasn't as heavy duty as the stock one, but with 10" longer it sure works better.

The more I think about conditions and rpm's, the more your ski is flying Jim. Any reason you don't go to Mission Bay, and click off a couple of 75's with that setup?

I'll have some pics later. I'll post them in the pic section.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information