Teen in Durban jet-ski tragedy
26 Dec 2008
Sharlene Packree and Sapa

A fun outing for a Durban family turned to tragedy when their 15-year-old son was killed when his jet-ski landed on him on a Durban beach.

Police and emergency services have described the incident as a “freak accident” and have opened up an inquest docket to investigate.

It is believed that the family were trying to launch the ski at the popular jet-ski beach when a large wave picked it before landing on the boy. The jet-ski beach is close to the Blue Lagoon near the Umgeni River mouth and is the designated beach for jet-skiers.

Netcare 911 spokesman Chris Botha said the boy sustained serious head and internal injuries.
“The teenager died at the scene. SAPS Search and Rescue recovered the body from the water.”
The teenager’s parents watched as the jet-ski landed on the boy and were hysterical as paramedics tried to resuscitate their son.

The boy’s details have not been released by police.

Police and the South African Maritime Authority are investigating the incident. The jet-ski has been impounded.

Otherwise, it was quiet day In Durban, especially on the Golden Mile, which is usually swamped by thousands of holidaymakers each year. Those who did visit the beach were well-behaved and co-operated with police and other law enforcement officials.

In East London, two Chinese tourists drowned yesterday afternoon, Eastern Cape police said.
The pair got into trouble around 1 pm in Leach Bay, said Superintendent Mtati Tana. Police were trying to contact their families.

Captain John Fobian told the SABC that two other people were rescued, resuscitated and taken to Frere Hospital.

On Thursday a man in his mid-thirties drowned at Beacon Bay.

Also in the Eastern Cape, the body of a fourth fisherman who drowned when a boat capsized has washed up on a beach at Oyster Bay in the Eastern Cape, the National Sea Rescue Institute said yesterday.

NSRI volunteers found the man’s body during a search at low tide at The Point on Thursday shortly before 7pm, said spokesman Craig Lambinon in a statement.

“A search operation is continuing in an effort to find the 10 missing fishermen, who are presumed to have drowned.”

The Kingfisher, carrying a crew of 19, capsized on Monday evening in tumultuous seas and gale-force winds. Five men survived — one swam to shore, another used the ship’s only life raft and another three were pulled from the water by rescuers.

Police found the first body on the night of the incident on the shore near the scene at Gibsons Bay. A second body was recovered the day after in a gulley at Gibson Bay by NSRI volunteers and handed to police.

A Disaster Management team found the third body at Gibson Bay on Thursday morning.