Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jukican View Post
    I agree with mrjetski...great post on the fuel pump. Well, I purchased a fuel pressure gauge, hooked it up and jumped the brown wire to make the pump run, fuel pressure read close to 20 lbs, when I clamped the return line rose to nearly 30lbs of pressure. NOTE: ( Using a small sewing needle, I was able to slide it along side the brown wire at the connector without actually piercing the brown wire, worked great)
    I did have the cylinder removed and had a rag under the injector, while doing the test, the injector sprayed constantly. Not in a really equal pattern, but I did not want to continue running the test while fuel was coming out.
    So, by grounding the brown wire, the injector sprayed continuously? That would flood the cylinder if you were to install a manual toggle switch to that wire, correct?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jukican View Post
    I agree with mrjetski...great post on the fuel pump. Well, I purchased a fuel pressure gauge, hooked it up and jumped the brown wire to make the pump run, fuel pressure read close to 20 lbs, when I clamped the return line rose to nearly 30lbs of pressure. NOTE: ( Using a small sewing needle, I was able to slide it along side the brown wire at the connector without actually piercing the brown wire, worked great)
    I did have the cylinder removed and had a rag under the injector, while doing the test, the injector sprayed constantly. Not in a really equal pattern, but I did not want to continue running the test while fuel was coming out.
    So, by grounding the brown wire, the injector sprayed continuously? That would flood the cylinder if you were to install a manual toggle switch to that wire, correct?
    Ficht injectors will leak (spew) fuel if they are not clamped into a cylinder head when pressurized.

The fuel leakage comes out around the sides of the tip assembly where it is inserted into the injector body, not through the actual poppet valve in the tip.

Always have the injectors clamped (and properly torqued) into their cylinder heads before pressurizing the fuel lines. You can use spare cylinder heads if you have them handy.

The Ficht injector's will not actually inject fuel unless they have electrical pulses stronger then 20 volts and of course have some fuel pressure (normally well over 20 PSI).

The actual fuel pressure applied to the Ficht tip poppet valve (spray nozzle) is in the hundreds of PSI range when the injector is firing. Put another way, the injector itself is an electrically powered pulse fuel pump that 'rams' a small slug of fuel through the injector tip. Hence the original name of RAM Ficht fuel injection.

+1
    I got nothing upon brown wire grounding. Pump is Dead. Going to follow your write up on removing the Fuel Pump Assembly and do a Frankenstein using the Airtek Pump writeup.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    For those who are looking to know, the MSX Ficht fuel pump pulls out very easily once the steering assembly is removed.
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Plastic Piece

Does anyone know what this plastic piece that has the supply, return, and vent line on it called? Anyone also know where I can find it? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana0724 View Post
    Does anyone know what this plastic piece that has the supply, return, and vent line on it called? Anyone also know where I can find it? Thanks
    That piece is not sold separately. I think I posted somewhere on here a while ago about possible alternate sources, but the easiest source may be a used/broken Polaris Ficht fuel pump.

All Polaris Ficht models and years use the same fuel pump (1999-2004).

Ok. Thanks. I have been searching for a PWC salvage yard, etc. but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know anyone who has a broken down Polaris Virage i that would sell me just this piece? Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana0724 View Post
    ... anyone who has a broken down Polaris Virage i ...
    The same Ficht fuel pump is used in the Polaris MSX 140, Genesis FFI and Genesis i, Virage TXi and Virage i models, years 1999-2004.

You may find a used Ficht fuel pump for sale on the Greenhulk Polaris Classifieds or perhaps ebay. Does not matter if it actually works, of course. Often a used fuel pump just needs the pressure regulator reattached.

Thanks for the info. I did not know all those models use the same fuel pump.

+1

How to use parts from the Airtex E7029M to rebuild a Polaris Ficht fuel pump

I just wanted to add my photos and 2 cents to the pile. You never know when a different angle or something might help.
    To do my rebuild I found an Airtex E7029M on amazon for 80 bucks. I want to say i am VERY glad i bought the entire assembly for $80 VS buying just the pump replacement for $40 as the assembly includes other stuff like the filter, float, strainer, and fuel level sender.
    To start i noticed the fuel level sender was the exact same except the bar with the float. I carefully un-clipped the old float-bar and the new float-bar and attached the old float-bar onto the new sending unit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150621_150211179.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	362954
    I removed the old strainer and used the old "vent tube" (tube coming off filter/strainer) because it was taller than the new one.

Name:	IMG_20150621_150227836.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	362957
    While i had the filter off i noticed the float was kind-of old looking and it was the same exact thing as the airtex so i swapped it out

Name:	IMG_20150621_150438753.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	362960
    Looking inside the housing there is a secondary strainer. Mine was gross so i swapped that as well.

Name:	IMG_20150621_150254022_HDR.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	362958
    I wanted to swap the cages but the original cage is taller and the shorter cage will not allow the screws to secure the pump in place.

Name:	IMG_20150621_150303467.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	362959
    Last edited by K447; 08-05-2015 at 07:37 AM.

11. +1 by:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information