Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by looker_ford View Post
    This is a great post. I am hoping it is still active after several months.

Has anyone tried to cross reference the Carter Fuel pump. I noticed in the thread you had a pump number of 3101c 253. Mine says 0511B 253. I would guess either one would work.

The Federal Mogul web site was not so useful and they only sell the complete module for $400+ bucks if you buy the Polaris replacement one.
    Welcome to the Hulk:

We try to keep the technical information current.

As far as I know, the info presented in this thread is correct and applicable.

Since Polaris no longer manufactures PWC, what they built, and how it works, isn't going to be changing.

The cost for a genuine Polaris fuel pump assembly isn't much different from the cost of a non-Polaris model, and you are assured the Polaris pump will fit and work correctly.

If you go back to the beginning of the thread, you will see that many times, the Polaris pump needs a simple repair, not replacement.

pump test

I pulled the pump and removed it from the sender housing/filter. I then hooked it up to a charged battery with a couple of jumper wires to the electrical spades and it didn't even hum. I was hoping to just replace the pump canister with a Holley or Edelbrock, but most of them appear to have a pressure in the 80-100 versus the 30PSI they called for in the Polaris Manual.

+1

Arrow Alternate non-Polaris parts source for Polaris Ficht fuel pump 2410129

I pulled the pump and removed it from the sender housing/filter. I then hooked it up to a charged battery with a couple of jumper wires to the electrical spades and it didn't even hum. I was hoping to just replace the pump canister with a Holley or Edelbrock, but most of them appear to have a pressure in the 80-100 versus the 30PSI they called for in the Polaris Manual.
    Have a look at this thread, where another fellow installed 'the pump and filters' from a Carter p74656m or 71-138s

I know the original Polaris fuel pump base section has a pleated filter material that rejects/repels water (which is important in a watercraft). I don't know if the Carter version has the same capability.

Fuel Pump alternative

I got the fuel pump suggested in the link for 143 usd including shipping. The pump, filter, float disk, and paper type baffle were identical to the OEM Polaris unit. The sending unit and plastic housing was different. I put it in and it worked wonders. Thanks for the suggestion, you saved me almost two bills. Now I am chasing around a high idle issue, I'll check some of the other forum subjects to see whats there.

+1
    I got the fuel pump suggested in the link for $143 usd including shipping.

The pump, filter, float disk, and paper type baffle were identical to the OEM Polaris unit. The sending unit and plastic housing was different.

I put it in and it worked wonders.

...Now I am chasing around a high idle issue, I'll check some of the other forum subjects to see whats there.
    Glad to hear you got it repaired

Exactly which pump part number did you purchase?

Unplug the TPS, see if the idle speed settles down. Idle should be right on 1150RPM, in or out of the water.

Create a new thread in the General section if you need to continue the idle speed discussion.

fuel pump part number

The one I purchased was the one mentioned in the thread.

Carter p74656m

I bought it from Amazon.

I am not certain of the original use, but I assume it was some type of marine application to have the water seperator.

+1
    Anyone know what brand the fuel pump electrical connector is? I need the harness side connector and pins.
    Thanks in advance K.

Wink Pressure regulator fell into pump assembly

Just wanted to let you know, you are the wizard on this.

I read your post, took my tank out, and - as you said (after testing fuel pressure etc) the regulator was the problem.

I'm so greatful for your knowledge and expertise - and your willingness to share your intelligence.

Thanks

The large pleated paper filter on the bottom of the pump asm is a Hastings p/n GF304.

My bad, I had to edit that p/n.
    I had the p/n's mixed up, that GP Sorensen p/n 6085 or Pico 5617PT is for the TPS plug on the Harness side, about $8

The Fuel pump harness side plug pigtail is a CARTER Part # 888159. You will only need half the harness....
    just google or ebay "CARTER 888159 HARNESS" - usually about $30.
    Its from a 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager w/ 3.8L.
    Last edited by jammer124; 08-26-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: incorrect p/n

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information