Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Built some Bomb Proof stands tonight

Built two of these today. Some updated awesome info:

You'll need SIX 2x4x8' per stand. You'll need SEVEN if you want the blocks between the X supports, I didn't bother, it seems more than plenty strong enough for me.

Outside-outside dimension across the bottom and top should be 27.5". Keep it square

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456177926.811940.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	381408

-All lumber is 2"x4"x8'
    -Cut ELEVEN 32" diagonal pieces, then cut THREE of those in half to get your SIX 16" vertical pieces.
    -You will end up with TWO 4" scraps
    -RED lines in diagram are CUTS
    -Dimension across bottom and top of uprights is 27.5"
    -Keep everything square as you're building it. Clamps can help get things lined up before you screw it together.
    -Check the accuracy of your 22.5 cuts. Every saw is different, and the 22.5 stop on the saw is more than likely inaccurate. Check it before you make 22 mistakes. Or don't and your cart will look like mine do.. LOL.

I found it was cheaper to buy two 1000lb furnature dollies and rob them for the caster wheels, than it was to buy a set of 4 casters separately.

When you first start building the cart, I found it easiest to start by screwing the 16" verticals to the 48" bottom pieces. Set them upright, clamp a center cross brace, and check the measurements top and bottom. 27.5" is about right.

Hope this helps the helpless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shop dolly wood cuts plan.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	381414  

+1
    I made 3 of these, got 2 ultras and a FZS on them, great stands, plenty strong enough and easy plans to follow..... i made the overall height a touch lower so it lines up with my trailer height perfect......

Only thing i would consider is if you plan on working on your ski on this stand you may need to add a 2x4 scrap piece inbetween the caster and the stand to add some height so you can get your engine hoist to roll under it.

+1
    made 2 of these for each of my gp1300rs they're awesome!!!

+1
    Hey, y’all have me convinced THESE ARE THE WAY 2 GO over buying any of the metal tubular designs (I don’t weld but, have a nice DeWalt DWS-770) but,

the bunks are 24” high on my double ski Triton (13” or 14” wheel raise the whole thing up) and 18” high on my single ski Triton and

I AM 100% ON MY OWN when moving skis from trailer to dolly and back, etc.

I intend to build more than one of these anyway and so may wind up building one that mates up to the 24” high bunks and a second that mates up to the 18” bunks but,

2 questions come to mind, before I start sawing:

1) How high are the bunks on your finished , 2x4 bombproof (wood, lumber) dollies?

2) How will increasing the the height of the verticals, say, 4” change either the 22.5 degree angles OR the length of the diagainal cross braces?

+1
    length on the vertical ones will change the height, your cross braces wont change length you'll just have to move them up higher (towards the center of the vertical ones)

if you're all alone just get some "liquid rollers". strap the cart to the trailer and you'll EASILY be able to push your ski off/on. i can push fully gassed up ultra 300's by myself no problem. be careful that spray works good, they move fast.
    Last edited by MWHC; 03-29-2019 at 04:55 PM.

+1
    also if you have 2 skis i suggest making 1 cart 3-4" taller or shorter. when you push them in the garage you can put the skis a lot closer together since the bond rails wont be hitting eachother.... every little bit of space helps if your garage is small like mine!

I just bought a Gp1300R and I'm definitely going to build this cart. Thanks a lot for the info guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHC View Post
    length on the vertical ones will change the height, your cross braces wont change length you'll just have to move them up higher (towards the center of the vertical ones)

if you're all alone just get some "liquid rollers". strap the cart to the trailer and you'll EASILY be able to push your ski off/on. i can push fully gassed up ultra 300's by myself no problem. be careful that spray works good, they move fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHC View Post
    also if you have 2 skis i suggest making 1 cart 3-4" taller or shorter. when you push them in the garage you can put the skis a lot closer together since the bond rails wont be hitting eachother.... every little bit of space helps if your garage is small like mine!

MWHC, thanks for the replies, feedback and guidance! These are on my “ToDo” list and, hindsight always being 20/20, I am now glad other priorities had me put off $pending up on the thin metal versions - once I got 1/2 way building the grandkids an arched foot bridge out of lumber using our new mitre saw I thought, “By gummit, I can make those dollies, also!” Ah, and a can of two of “Mary Kate Liquid Rollers” are on the Amazon ‘Wish List’, as well!

Thanks again and take ‘er easy, partner!
    Last edited by Thor; 03-30-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information