Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: cam shaft kit

Thanks so much for doing that. I really do appreciate it.
    Apparently, according to my dealer, the cam shaft comes as a kit now, so I'm thinking that's the new part number.

Once I had your guide in my sweaty little hands, the whole thing was out in about 10 minutes. Thanks again.
    Maybe we could get that guide pinned somewhere in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow MSX reverse lever handle retaining bolt is on the inside

Update: The MSX 140 reverse lever is the same mechanism inside as the Genesis and Virage, but the handle is different.

On the MSX, there is a long bolt running through the cam shaft (item 12) that you undo from the inside the hull to remove the handle. It is a 10mm head. Loosen the bolt until the handle becomes free, then pull/wiggle the handle straight off the shaft.

Once you get the long bolt out from the inside, the rest of the repair is the same as the Virage/Genesis method outlined earlier.
    Last edited by K447; 07-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.

MSX 140 Reverse Lever Differences

I was thrilled to see your very descriptive write-up of your Virage reverse mechanism removal instructions and pix! My friend muscled my reverse handle and now it doesn't function (lever spins freely).

I printed out your instructions, along with my MSX 140 parts picture, and began by removing the handle. I got the lever out but the bolt seems to be too long to remove, as it bumps into what appears to be the steering assembly. Does it need to be fully removed?

Also, your instructions refer to Virage part numbers, and I believe that the MSX parts in my diagram are numbered slightly different. I tried finding the Virage part numbers so I could then look at your instructions and then handwrite onto my MSX 140 parts picture so I knew what to remove, but couldn't find a Virage parts diagram online (as links have been taken down).

Any pointers appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Update: The MSX reverse lever is the same mechanism inside as the Genesis and Virage, but the handle is different.

On the MSX, there is a long bolt running through the cam shaft (item 12) that you undo from the inside the hull to remove the handle. It is a 10mm head. Loosen the bolt until the handle becomes free, then pull/wiggle the handle straight off the shaft.

Once you get the long bolt out from the inside, the rest of the repair is the same as the Virage/Genesis method outlined earlier.

+1
    Polaris Industries parts diagrams are still online as far as I can tell
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

I just looked up the 2001 Virage TX Reverse info and the diagram is there (but I did not check whether the part numbering is exactly the same).

That long bolt from the handle does run into the steering when you try to remove it. My memory is fuzzy but I think that when you start removing other parts you can wriggle the bolt out at some point.

Like almost everything on a watercraft the reverse mechanism is a pain to work on the first time.

Thanks, right after I sent my note I found a diagram for an 02 Virage on the Polaris site, and renumbered my MSX parts diagram. I'll take your description and update for an MSX and post it shortly. Given my free swinging reverse lever, would you guess it's the sae problem that others have experienced and I'll have to replace the pinion and cam shaft parts?

+1

Thanks Keith!!

Even with all of your documentation it still took a while to dawn on me what was happening. Even the slightest drag between the cam shaft and Pinion will cause a major bind. The camshaft must rotate to release the reverse lock BEFORE the Pinion starts to move. If the Pinion moves with even a slight amount of torque it will trap the reverse lever in the detent of the cam arm.
    With no cable attached I have the two finger torque test easily. It dam near "Flops" back and forth. The slight drag of the cable is felt now ....But with no catching at the beginning of the stroke.
    You guys are great.
    Here is another Video that may help someone else

Last edited by LaveyT; 02-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.

+1

MSX 110 and MSX 150... different reverse lever assemblies

Just pulled out my reverse lever assembly on my '04 MSX 150 the other night... to get to a stripped nut plate on the underside of the handlebar/steering assembly. (fun fun)

I remembered this good thread about fixing your reverse lever assembly from jamming so it works smoothly.

Well... low and behold... my reverse assembly is not like the MSX 140 or Virage. The MSX 110/150 reverse assembly looks much simpler and mine is still very smooth.

Just thought I'd share in the knowledge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	296879

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reverse-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	296880

Cheers!

+1
    I had overlooked the MSX 110 and MSX 150 reverse mechanism being different from the MSX 140.

The MSX 140 is the same hull as the MSX 110 and MSX 150 ... Except for all the differences

I did this and it worked like a charm. Sooooo easy now. Thanks so much.

Excellent info. My reverse lever is sticking and I plan to use this info and tackle this next weekend. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information