Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

High Altitude Adjustment?

I am at high altitude, 6500' to be exact. For the purposes of this question, assume I have aftermarket F/A's w/ chokes intact.

Since OSB is no longer with us (RIP), I was wondering if anybody could give a recommendation for how his recipe might be altered for my elevation? I see a couple options:
    1. Do nothing. Recipe is fine for my altitude, maybe slightly rich, but not enough to worry about.
    2. Adjust pilot and main jets down one size (or more).
    3. Adjust high and low speed adjusters in 1/8 turn (or more).
    4. Both options 2 and 3.
    Does anybody have any input? I know I need less fuel than the average guy, but I don't want to overcompensate and run the damn thing lean.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I found a Mikuni Main Jet Correction Chart in PDF form. It is geared towards Rotax engines, which are supposedly jetted for sea level at 15°C / 59°F. The correction factor it gives me for 2000m / 6562ft @ 20°C / 68°F is 94%. Taking Bill's main jet of 120 x 94% = 112.8, so I guess I'd use a 112.5? This is two sizes smaller than what the ski came with stock, much less considering OSB's suggestions. Does this seem at all right?
    Last edited by LipschitzWrath; 09-04-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Ok I'm at a loss here..... Just put my carbs back in my ski and I can't get over 12mph. Choke plates removed and FAs w/socks. Stock block stock head, carbon reeds, dplate and chip, free flow exhaust, holeshot kit. Also I drilled out the returns and put the 95 jet in the return line.

1200R After Market F/A's chokes removed

110 Pilot jets, 1 turn out on low speed adjusters.
    125 Main jets 1-1/4 turn out on high speed adjusters
    1.5 Needle and Seat, 95 gram spring (Dull Silver) 42-45 avg. pop-off pressure.

Now here's the interesting part. Obviously when it's on the trailer runs perfect as it should because you could only identifying issue under load with the ski in the water. But while I'm holding the throttle and I pump my primer while it is bogging, it wakes up and takes off!!! Which tells me it's running lean and it wants fuel... So I open up the low needles half turn just to see if I get any increase in the bogging going away, no difference. I open them another half turn, no difference. Then I do the same things for the high speed needles just to mess around no difference.... No matter what I do with the low or high speed needles the bogging does not go away unless I steer away from the settings mentioned above and I go half turn out on the low speed then I pull the throttle on the boat stalls. So I'm at a loss here what other options should I try?

In reference to FA's. You can use the stock airbox, just remove the screen inside, remove sound-deadening boxes ahead of airbox, clamp a cone filter on end of airbox to keep any possible debris out. I have done multiple skis like this over the last 15yrs, no problems.

Bdaroci2010
    Did you actually measure pop-off? If so, try it at 35psi

I have a 2000 XL limited and have done everything that OS bill recommended. I installed the D plate aftermarket F/A, removed chokes and accelerator pump. I also did the fuel pressure mod and have good fuel pressure. i have a gauge on the return line. 6 lbs at WOT. I used his recipe exactly how he described. i have pulled the carbs many times trying to solve my problem. the SKI runs good on the trailer with a hose hooked up. revs good. once i put it in the water it stalls as soon as i hit the gas. it idles good but just completely falls on its face as soon as i touch the throttle please help.

I am having the exact same problem. EXACTLY the same problem. I have tried turning out the high speed and it does a little better but it will only do 18 or 19 mph. if i use the 1 1/4 turns on the high i can only get 8 mph.

What has to be done when drilling the return?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by svanlan91 View Post
    What has to be done when drilling the return?
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177671

9. +1 by:

Can I use the same springs for the adjustments when I install t handles?

does anyone have a manual for a xl1200 limited they could email me? adammiller84@gmail.com thanks

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread Information