Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Ethanol percentage testing

For those who would be interested in checking their own gasoline for ethanol content, there is a simple testing method.

What this method does is add enough water to force the alcohol to phase separate out of the fuel. Then you can tell how much alcohol was present by how much the separation line between the water and the fuel has risen.

This compact and pre-calibrated Fuel Contamination Tester from EAA is one nicely done option, but you can do the same thing with a clear, volume calibrated fuel-safe container.

You can order one of these Daansen Fuel-Check for $15 from EAA, including shipping.
    Was also available from Jeppesen for $5.73, plus shipping.
    Edit: Google search lists a number of sources
    It is about 6 inches long, and uses a small amount of fuel for the test.

Instructions
    Add water precisely to the zero level line on the % alcohol scale
    Add fuel to be tested up to the gas level line
    Cap and shake vigorously to thoroughly mix
    Let stand 5-10 minutes, and read % alcohol in the fuel on the scale at the liquid line separating the actual gasoline from the water+ethanol mixture

Last edited by K447; 01-13-2013 at 08:47 PM.

I wrote my congressman and senators to abolish the ethanol mandate explaining how it hurt performance, increased costs and did more harm then good asking them to let common sense prevail.

And I supported it with the BW link on this topic you provided.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Apparently, there can be a lot more than 10% Ethanol in the gasoline you buy.

This is NOT good for your PWC fuel system, or the engine. Not good for your car, either.

There seem to be two methods used to mix ethanol into retail gasoline;
    - Mix the two liquids at the fuel distributor, during the filling of the tanker trucks for delivery.
    - Blend the two liquids inside the filling pump at the retail gas station

Both methods have the potential for the incorrect percentage of ethanol to be mixed into the fuel.

I suspect that blending at the filling station pumps is one place where Murphy's Law would apply, but cases have occurred where the tanker truck was loaded with the wrong mixture.

If you have the option to purchase premium grade gasoline that has less, or no, ethanol, I suggest you consider doing so for your marine engines.
    unfortunately there is no option in the midwest. there is now a new gas being used here and I am trying to look into it now. I believe it lowers emissions. Not sure what it will do to our skii's though.

I have been running e85 in all my skis (701 superjet, 760 superjet, 550 kawi, 440 kawi, 500 wavejammer) with no problems. I use the klotz oil that is for ethanol. I have all my motors set up for high compression for performance and I have my 760 set up at 210 psi compression and the 105 octane e85 runs in that with no problems. I have never had a problems with carb needing rebuild or fuel lines having problems. You have to rejet you skis to run on it but I have had no problems with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    I have been running e85 in all my skis (701 superjet, 760 superjet, 550 kawi, 440 kawi, 500 wavejammer) with no problems. I use the klotz oil that is for ethanol.

I have all my motors set up for high compression for performance and I have my 760 set up at 210 psi compression and the 105 octane e85 runs in that with no problems.

I have never had a problems with carb needing rebuild or fuel lines having problems. You have to rejet you skis to run on it but I have had no problems with it.
    This is interesting!

E85 is generally not available in my region, and certainly not available at the water's edge (Marina).

How does the power output on your E85 tuned engines compare with the same engines tuned for normal pump gasoline?

Are there other watercraft owner's tuning for 85% ethanol?

+1
    I can say that in Wisconsin all gas may contain up to 10% ethanol. Except I have noticed at Shell gas stations they have a completely ethanol free gas option. The down side is that it is usually higher than premium. The pump system is kinda of confusing but you have your regular gas (with up to 10% ethanol) on the right and on the left is one lonely button for ethanol free gas. I am skeptical as many people are I'm sure. Im sure there is a little ethanol in there but much much less then your normal gas.
    (As K447 said 10% is over all gas produced by that company not 10% by volume so you could get more then 10%)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AT_Viper View Post
    ...(As K447 said 10% is over all gas produced by that company not 10% by volume so you could get more then 10%)
    Actually, the legal upper limit for ethanol in gasoline is 10%, from what I have read.

If there is more than 10% ethanol, then it cannot be sold as gasoline. It can be sold as something else (such as E85), but can not be labeled 'gasoline'.

One problem is that sometimes there really is more than 10% ethanol coming out of the 'gasoline' pump, which is not supposed to be happen.

There are some lobby groups now pushing to increase the maximum percentage of ethanol that can be legally included in pump 'gasoline'. My understanding is that concentrations beyond 10% cause equipment problems that don't happen with 10% or less ethanol.

In marine fuel systems, my current view is that the less ethanol in the fuel, the better.

The burton9010 E85 PWC is interesting, as I had not heard of any.

Thanks for the info guys very interesting read,, Cya Slick

+1
    I was just in Idaho and the Phillips 66 stations do not use ethanol there. So that is where I filled up. Check in your area and see if they are ethanol free. http://www.phillips66.com/

+1
    There are a few Shells and Exxons around Columbia South Carolina that sell alll grades of fuel without ethenol. I am pretty sure the fuel is blended when it is dispensed on the truck at the distro site here.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information