Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

+1
    Replacing the drive shaft bearing/seal is very easy.At rear of craft,Remove the 4 long bolts at jet pump,cables-rod-hoses attached to outlet,slide it out along with drive shaft.In side hull,loosen clamps,replace bearing.
    Grease bearing after reassembled.

Is this the part that I need?

forgot the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	82316  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kepneriphone View Post
    forgot the pic...
    That bell shaped plastic shroud is the coupler cover, and it comes off the through-hull bearing assembly (upper assembly in attached photo).

I think the through-hull bearing from any year Polaris will fit, except for the 2003-2004 MSX models.

You can also rebuild it yourself with new bearings and seals, as long as it is not the very early units (1992-1995?) with crimped ends (lower unit in photo). The parts are standard, available at a good bearing supply shop. The sizes are listed in a thread here somewhere (beerdart post?).

Any good machine or automotive shop can install the new parts into the housing, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison of early and post 1995 through-hull bearings.JPG 
Views:	479 
Size:	979.3 KB 
ID:	82317  
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2008 at 09:31 AM.

+1
    Your model has the crimped ends...will need to replace the whole thing.

Are you sure I have the crimed end one? The picture I posted above is from a 1995 SL650 and it looks like it isn't crimed, it looks like the top through-hull bearing in K447's post. I cross-checked the part number, and it looks like the 1993 and 1994 SL750's have the same part as the 1995 SL650. How will I know if it's crimped end?

Also, what does the bearing fit into on either end?

Nevermind, i read the post wrong. That is the crimped end one. Is it wise to use a used through-hull bearing? The one from the 650 didn't leak...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...what does the bearing fit into on either end?
    ...Is it wise to use a used through-hull bearing? The one from the 650 didn't leak...
    Just so we're clear here. It appears that the crimped type through-hull bearings were used from 1993-1995 (and I think 1992 as well, but I'm not certain of that). Those early bearings were lubed by a special needle type grease fitting, which some owners did not have. Some were converted to Zerk grease fittings.

1996 onwards, Polaris installed the non-crimped type through-hull assembly which uses replaceable seals, and inside in the middle is a replaceable bearing, lubed by a standard Zerk grease fitting.

Since the outer seal is exposed to water every time the hull is in the water, over time some water is going to work its way inside, and eventually that steel bearing inside is going to rust, despite the waterproof grease pumped into it by the fastidious owner.

How long until it rusts? That depends on many factors, and would be hard to predict.

From my perspective, an older but 'non-leaking' through-hull bearing might be just fine.

Then again, those old seals were disturbed by having the old drive shaft removed, and your drive shaft may have a slightly different wear area where the seal lips contact the shaft. So even a 'non-leaking' used replacement may leak internally, when it is installed in your Polaris.

If you can, get a new through-hull assembly, or get a used one with new seals installed. That way, you will know the seals are good, and the bearing is well protected.
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2009 at 02:12 PM.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison%20of%20early%20and%20post%201995%20through-hull%20bearings.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	306953

I have the top coupler in this pic and have a 99 sltx? mine is a throw away coupler then ? thx

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    forgot the pic...
    That bell shaped plastic shroud is the coupler cover, and it comes off the through-hull bearing assembly (upper assembly in attached photo).

I think the through-hull bearing from any year Polaris will fit, except for the 2003-2004 MSX models.

You can also rebuild it yourself with new bearings and seals, as long as it is not the very early units (1992-1995?) with crimped ends (lower unit in photo). The parts are standard, available at a good bearing supply shop. The sizes are listed in a thread here somewhere (beerdart post?).

Any good machine or automotive shop can install the new parts into the housing, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
    Last edited by K447; 07-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information