Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    andygpr748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    383
    yep. 2-bar r&d 1200, coming off a 72 mph run. no warnig, just took a hard left and tossed me a few yards.not fun


  2. #22
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,938
    +1
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    yep. 2-bar r&d 1200, coming off a 72 mph run. no warnig, just took a hard left and tossed me a few yards.not fun
    This brings up a point to be made.

    When you are under way and your release the throttle, the front wing digging into the water is basically what slows the boat down... more on a 1200 grate vs the 800 grate. All that pressure, especially at 75+ could potentially rip the grate off (being a bit extreme).

    Dont just snap the throttle shut when comming off a high speed run, slowly throttle down. This will reduce the stress on the grates.
    Last edited by WFO; 03-21-2008 at 06:51 AM.

  3. #23
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    This bring up a point to be made.

    When you are under way and your release the throttle, the front wing digging into the water is basically what slows the boat down... more on a 1200 grate vs the 800 grate. All that pressure, especially at 75+ could potentially rip the grate off (being a bit extreme).

    Dont just snap the throttle shut when comming off a high speed run, slowly throttle down. This will reduce the stress on the grates.
    Adding to this.......when snapping the throttle shut your creating a damn in the pump due to prop spin reduction when boat is still at speed, this aids to overstuffing the pump and helps turn the ski violently.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,938
    +1
    563

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Adding to this.......when snapping the throttle shut your creating a damn in the pump due to prop spin reduction when boat is still at speed, this aids to overstuffing the pump and helps turn the ski violently.
    Good post guys! There needs to be information posted on operating a ski at 70+ mph and up as ride input on just how to avoid the dreaded highspeed dismount . I am fear there are a lot of new riders that now are building highspeed skis that have no idea what and how to operate a ski at 80- 90+ mph. Keep up the good work posting rider safety! Tommy Jordan

  5. #25
    Hydrotoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    16,729
    +1
    96
    Updates for any newbie that somehow misses the OTHER threads about the grates. Jerry's SS-800 grate is now ready for pre-order. This will ELIMINATE grate breaking and supplies a known good grate for the gpr hull. It can also be modded (at your risk) for better rough water performance.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CA.
    Posts
    231
    Are you guys modifiing your r&d steering nozel.

  7. #27
    One day at a time..... N8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    TAMPA
    Posts
    3,721
    +1
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher63 View Post
    Are you guys modifiing your r&d steering nozel.
    cut mine to length of stock plastic one

  8. #28
    Chine Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    598
    Why bother modifying an R&D nozzle, when you can buy the SHO unit for under $30 and you don't have to cut anything; not to mention it's 10x better quality..

    jp

  9. #29
    PuprleNuprleGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa1300 View Post
    Why bother modifying an R&D nozzle, when you can buy the SHO unit for under $30 and you don't have to cut anything; not to mention it's 10x better quality..

    jp
    I think that the SHO one is oval. Not sure if that affects anything

  10. #30
    Chine Walker
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    598
    No, it doesn't. If you calculate the area of the exit nozzle it's nearly identical to GPR plastic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. --> Yamaha GPR Platform - Inherent Hull Safety Issues
    By Shibby1485 in forum Conversion FAQ and Tips
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
  2. 2000 Yamaha GPR 1200R HULL FOR SALE
    By kirkky in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 02:54 PM
  3. Yamaha GPR Trued Hull ???????????????
    By QBNKID in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •