Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

+1
    Yes I unplugged to read voltage at the connector. I confirmed that voltage at the yellow stator wire in the connector...12.45v.
    I will check the integrity of the circuits feeding the connector and the needle trick. The ski is at the lake, when I get back up there I will continue troubleshooting. Thx

+1
    There WAS moisture, it was wet after the ski flipped. I disassembled the MFD, dried everything, cleaned the circuit board, rubber connector, bezel, and let it all dry in the sun for more than an hour...there was zero moisture left anywhere when I reassembled it. The display is dark with great contrast and complete now...no missing digits, it's just not accurate

+1
    So I have this E box with the wiring harness from a 95 SLT 750, as you can see here I powered the box and set the oil level sensor to just above halfway and fuel sensor to full as indicated by the round MFD. All functions work. Question: Can I plug in the OVAL MFD from my 96 SLT 780?...Should it work with this wiring?..I am trying to determine if this Oval MFD is poochedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG8900.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	450467
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190704-185352.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	450468

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    8-pin Oval MFD and the round MFD have the same wire connections on the 8-pin connector. They are interchangeable from a wiring perspective.

The fuel level calibration may be less accurate when swapping MFD, and the speedometer reading may also vary more from actual. Otherwise the Polaris 8-pin MFD are all plug and play.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    8-pin Oval MFD and the round MFD have the same wire connections on the 8-pin connector. They are interchangeable from a wiring perspective.

The fuel level calibration may be less accurate when swapping MFD, and the speedometer reading may also vary more from actual. Otherwise the Polaris 8-pin MFD are all plug and play.
    So the OVAL MFD is mostly dead, I have tried plugging it in a half-dozen times or more, once it came to life had a nice crisp display, indicated correct fuel and oil levels, then went blank... I noticed while handling the circuit board under power that looking from the back of the circuit board at the top left corner of the oval, just beside and above the SET switch connector, the two devices that are rectangular black both were very very hot to the touch...I feel as if the MFD is almost salvageable like there is some voltage tracking across some semiconductor somewhere, but I have cleaned the board with electrical contact cleaner and a toothbrush three times.... any advice from the guru's? And a big thank you to those who have contributed to my troubleshooting thus farClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG8904.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	450471

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I do not have and have never seen proper schematic diagrams for the MFD circuit boards. A few people have managed to trace out MFD circuit fragments, but nothing anywhere close to component complete.

Those of us who have attempted component level repair on the oval MFD have had a few successes and many dead ends.

I suppose someone could identify those particular hot components and test them, or just replace with new components. Whether that would make any difference to the overall MFD health, I could not say.

+1
    Thx K447....so I guess seeing that I do have this spare round MFD, I could install that in the same location where it exists on the SLT750, extend the wiring harness and the speedometer tube to suit, fabricate a blanking plate for the original MFD location on the crash pad, and call it a day. Has anyone seen this accomplished before?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information