Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Smile 2 seater playmate for a Virage/Freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by thomslik View Post
    Opinions may vary, but for a basic trouble free 50+ mph stable, almost three place ride, with great fuel economy and dependability, the standard Virage (700 carburated engine) is hard to beat. I think they built it from 2000-til closing.
    The Freedom is the same except it''s the very basic model without the mirrors and gauges. etc.
    If you want a little more grin, the Virage TX 3 cylinder will go much faster, but really drinks more fuel...
    thomslik, Thank you very much for your straightforward summary!

I had been wondering whether a 700cc twin would have enough poop for a three seater, as most of my experience has been with older Fuji motored SL650 and SL900 triples. It would seem that the newer Polaris domestic twins are about on par power wise with the older (stock) Fuji triples.

I am guessing that pulling a tube or skier plus two people on board would be the upper limit of what a Virage700 could do, and a Virage TX could do it handily. I will have to research what the current price deltas are between Freedom, Virage, and Virage TX.

How would the carburated Genesis compare with the Virage TX (other than being bigger)?

Assuming similar overall condition and engine hours, is there any reason to favour a newer year of the same model (say 2000 Virage vs. 2003/2004 Virage)?

What model year did the domestic engines displace the Fuji triples?
    If I go with a Virage/Freedom and a Polaris 2 seater, I would prefer to have all the engines in my small Polaris fleet be of the same "type", just to reduce my learning curve regarding maintenance and servicing.

For a two seater Polaris (avoiding the Fuel Injected and racer oriented stuff), do any of the models stand out overall?
    Not necessarily anything quicker than say the VirageTX, but perhaps more "playful".
    I would like to use regular pump gas, so I can cruise and play without having to strategize my re-fueling.

I am not too worried about the non-dealer situation, as I generally like to do my own maintenance anyway, and certainly the support and information sharing here makes it easier to see myself being comfortable with Polaris machines.

Thanks again, Keith

+1
    Welcome K447,

You have touched upon an idea that I've thought about for a while, but really, didn't think anyone cared about.

Why not start a brand-basis singular thread in each model area, about year to year model and differences as they are found?

Lots of work, but in the long run, it would be unique to the industry.

I'm sure the Honda boyz can handle it pretty easy.
    The rest will be rather.... challenging.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Post Polaris PWC model landscape

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Welcome K447,
    ...Why not start a brand-basis singular thread in each model area, about year to year model and differences as they are found?
    ...Lots of work, but in the long run, it would be unique to the industry...
    I have been assembling a spreadsheet of Polaris PWC models and years. Not complete by any means, but it has helped me get a handle on the model/year landscape for Polaris PWC.

I would be happy to share it with anyone who can carry the idea forward (see attachment).

If such a table could be extended to cross reference some of the basic interchangeable parts, I am sure others would find that most useful as time goes forward, and the re-use of parts from retired boats becomes even more necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Except for the 98 SLXH. The "H" signifies 700 cc engine.SLTX is 1050 cc,with just one exception on limited production model in '99.

+1
    "How would the carburated Genesis compare with the Virage TX (other than being bigger)?"

You've pretty much hit it on the head. The carburated Genesis had the same 3 cylinder engine as the Virage TX and was just a little bigger and heavier. Still a good ski.

All the 2-3 cylinder carburated models from 2000 until closing were about the same. Not enough difference from year to year to notice. They were too busy trying to get the injected stuff to run right, to change anything on those!

I'm not really knocking the injected models, as I'm sure some owners are still happy with them. I just don't know around here! It's just that the simple stuff is easier to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Welcome K447,

You have touched upon an idea that I've thought about for a while, but really, didn't think anyone cared about.

Why not start a brand-basis singular thread in each model area, about year to year model and differences as they are found?

Lots of work, but in the long run, it would be unique to the industry.

I'm sure the Honda boyz can handle it pretty easy.
    The rest will be rather.... challenging.
    What type of info would you include. I have been working on something with years, models, engine size/diplacement, HP, and seating capacity.

I thought it might also be useful to include Spark plug #'s and gap, carb types, pump types, MFD type, options, and recomended upgrades.

Any thoughts?

+1
    Im going to stick this thread so we can keep track of it.

Similar to what Kieth made just laid out a little differnt; here is what I have so far. It's not complete and I am sure there are plenty of errors so don't bash me too hard. Just looking for some feedback before I get too far.

I would like to add pictures and specifications for every model.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Very nice. The PRO 785 is a fuji 69.7mm bore 68mm stroke

If you are looking for 55+mph range, then you need a 900cc or larger two seater and a 1050cc or larger three seater. Why don't you give us what you are budgeting for these skiis and that might narrow down the field a bit to what you might really want to expect for your money.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information