Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

New Member: FX SVHO vs. GP1800R SVHO

Hello Green Hulk Members,
    I recently sold my BMW m3 and I'm looking for a new toy(s). I've settled on a Yamaha SVHO because I want to have a spring/summer thrill-ride and I want it to be reliable.
    I've never had a PWC. I've ridden and raced lots of motorcycles, but I think it's time to get something that's a little more family friendly, and safer.
    I live in Washington state, so all of my riding will be on the Columbia river and on lakes. The Columbia can get some chop, but there are many days where it's relatively calm. Nothing like the Pacific Ocean.
    I may do some two-up riding, but the majority will be cruising.
    My bikes have always been the fastest available. I had a turbocharged Kawasaki ZX-14! Whatever I get, I want it to be quick and fast.
    I've done a lot of research but I can't decide between the FX SVHO and a GP1800R SVHO. I think most of my riding will be on the river and I envision cruising at high speeds for extended periods of time. I think that means the FX would be best, but if I'm going to drop ~$20k, I would value input from those who have one or both of these PWCs. Does the handling thrill on the GP1800R SVHO make up for the lack of creature comforts and relatively less comfortable ride?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jorgen

+1
    The GP is WAY more nimble. Think about a 600RR vs a Harley road glide. Both fun, both turn, & like curvy roads but WAY more playful on the GP.

FX has more storage, 2-3mph slower mod for mod, few options may be there that you can't have on GP like navigation or something. But for the most part GP can have cruise control, ride, no wake mode, ect.. GP will ride ruffer in chop, little less storage too.

+1
    Our family have both, gp if you want to relive your teenage years, FX for the longer quicker smoother cruising, you wont be dissapointed especially with the fx smc hull and creature comforts. Fx will do all well except beat a gp around a buoy coarse

Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    The GP is WAY more nimble. Think about a 600RR vs a Harley road glide. Both fun, both turn, & like curvy roads but WAY more playful on the GP.

WOW, I'm shocked by this analysis...I was in the SAME position as OP...I chose the FX SVHO due to living on the coast/ocean riding...I LOVE it...but now want to take a ride on the GP.

FX SVHO from factory will blow out and cavitate any time you go into a turn hard and loose speed. It will cavitate full throttle off the line. The SVHO GP1800 much less. AFTER I resealed the transom plate, filled the ride plate voids, and went to a Solas impeller the FX SVHO is about all I can hold onto going into a turn. Initially it was a joke, a stock VXR generated more g's in turns and never caveated. My buddies SeaDoo RXP 300 never ever cavititates and I can get nauseated after 3 or 4 hard turns lol. Cavitation SUCKS. Yamaha cavitates. Straight line race now my FX SVHO its a hair faster than the Seadoo.
    Its not right you have to rebuild the jet pump system on a ski when new but I should have picked up on the pro reviews about the FXSVHO, comments like very stable, never feel like it will throw you off translates into cavitation puke puke puke...

Any water in your haul means you transom plate Leakes, it should have ZERO after a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRider View Post

Any water in your haul means you transom plate Leakes, it should have ZERO after a ride.
    Well, I must not ride as hard as y'all, as I don't see the HUGE cavitation you're speaking of...Which is most likely true, as this is my first year/first ski...I know there's always better/faster, but this thing is perfect for me...damn fast (I know the mod bug will hit one day, and I'm already semi-looking) and handles great in the ocean as well as the canals/lakes near me.

I have read about water in the haul, especially with the "newer" machines from Yamaha...I have never had a drop...I'll admit my newbie-ness and say that would have scared the HELL out of me before diving into this group and seeing it seems fairly common. I would have also been very upset if I had to reseal anything on a new machine...That's the exact reason I bought new...not to worry/wrench. Anywho, haven't had a drop, and hope it stays that way...I don't even know if this thing has a bilge pump...very confusing owner's manual and not much concrete online evidence of yea or nay on it...I know the foot wells drain themselves, and not a drop after many a hard ride. Thank you very much for your post...I am VERY eager to ride a GP now...unfortunately I don't know anyone around here (ride alone, dumb I know) and though I'm in a tourist area, everyone rents VXs or Sparks around here.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Hull, not haul

No big Yamaha PWC model has had an electric bilge pump from the factory in years.

All modern Yamaha do have a bilge scavenge suction that gently vacuums water from the bilge as you ride along at speed. The suction is created by a thin metal tube mounted partially inside the jet pump rear nozzle. You can peak into the jet pump outlet and see the metal tube angled towards the opening. From that tube there is a rubber hose that connects forward to the transom plate. Inside the hull there is another rubber hose that rises up to a plastic elbow, then down towards the bilge suction inlet. The plastic inlet is tucked under the mid-shaft right in front of the mid-wall.

Some people mistakenly refer to this bilge scavenge/suction system as a ‘bilge pump’. It is not. It does very little at idle speed, less when in reverse or neutral, and has modest water flow rates when riding along.

An electric bilge pump, if installed, is not there to ‘keep the bilge dry’. That is what the scavenge thing is for, to suck out minor amounts of water that somehow end up inside the hull as you,ride.

An electric bilge bump is insurance. If somehow the hull ends up with a LOT of water inside, especially while riding, the electric bilge pump is there to pump that water out FAST. The more quickly the better.

An electric bilge pump can buy you time while you attempt to ride towards shore or back to your launch location. If water is entering the hull from a leak, an engine cooling hose problem, or whatever, the longer the bilge pump can hold off the moment when the hull becomes overwhelmed with accumulated water the better.

If the leak is modest enough you can ride as far as you have fuel, with the bilge pump perhaps working away the whole time.

If the water is coming in quickly, perhaps instead of drowning the engine within 30 seconds (after you discover it is happening) the bilge pump lets you ride for, say, three minutes. You can get six times farther in three minutes than in 30 seconds.

My own aftermarket electric bilge pumps are rated for over 1,000gph. After the initial testing post install, I expect those bilge pumps to NEVER be needed while I am riding. I will be quite happy to remove those bilge pumps when they reach end of life, never having needed them to save my ski (and myself).

However if the day comes when one of those bilge pumps activates in earnest, with a huge stream of water jetting out from the pump exit, I will be very, very happy that the bilge pump is installed and functioning. I can focus on getting myself and my watercraft safely off the water.

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline9 View Post
    … the foot wells drain themselves, and not a drop after many a hard ride. ...
    The Yamaha footwell drains are mostly there to drain rainwater when the watercraft is parked and during storage.

The drains will of course slowly drain splash water from the foot wells while riding, but it will happen slowly. The footwells can be quickly emptied using the lever on the right side handlebar. A firm squeeze of throttle, held for a few seconds, should quickly dispense with most of the footwell water.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hull, not haul
    LOL, was in a hurry, and went back and forth...I made the call to copy HardRider's spelling, being the noob in between you and him, both very knowledgeable and seasoned...Got it.

Thank you very much for the write-ups/explanations...Very helpful for someone trying to learn all they can <me>

+1
    My FX has zero cavitation from a dig or turning hard. It hooks and goes. No water in the hull either. I haven’t touched anything other than doing the ribbon delete. My GP with the solas impeller does cavitate. So while the Yamaha sealant issues are well known, I don’t particularly care for blanket statements that all of this model or that model will do this or that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information