Sticky rings 2018 Stx 15f

Hi everyone,
    i recently did my first piston and ring installation. I had a experienced friend gap the rings for me and the experience was relatively smooth. The oil ring on one of the pistons came off and I put it back on prior to getting back into the cylinder. I put it all back together and made sure to use a ton of assembly lubricant. I rotated the crank from the coupler and found it to be very stiff and a little squeaky. So i added a few ML's of oil down the spark plug hole and turned it a few more times. It seems to get easier then I will leave it and come back a few days later and it's stiff at one point about every 4th or 5th time I try. I am turning it about a half way around each time using a bar on the coupler. Yesterday i put the head and cover on and filled it with oil so I could check compression and it showed compression across the board to be in the 160 to 175 range. I am not too confident in the compressor but it's right to itself as I was getting readings in the 80 on cylinder 3 and 4 prior that increased to 120 after oil was added to the cylinder. Sorry for the history but I just want some feedback as to if anyone has experienced this stiffness with new rings and or pistons. I lowered the motor in last night so I guess I will find out if it fires correctly soon.

When I got my 300 engine back together, I bumped the starter for 5-6 seconds at a time with the spark plugs out and the valve cover off until I saw oil coming out on top of head. It took maybe 6 attempts and I was starting to get nervous, but there was no way I was going to attempt to start it for real until I was sure the oil pump was still pumping oil.

thats great advice, I will try that once i get it installed. from my recollection it returns towards the cam sprocket/ coupler side? Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranofwaterfell View Post
    When I got my 300 engine back together, I bumped the starter for 5-6 seconds at a time with the spark plugs out and the valve cover off until I saw oil coming out on top of head. It took maybe 6 attempts and I was starting to get nervous, but there was no way I was going to attempt to start it for real until I was sure the oil pump was still pumping oil.

Outside of the presence of oil, how can I tell the oil pump is pumping oil.

I removed the head cover on this motor I just got back together (Stx 15f 201, there is a lot of oil all around the shims of the valves and in the recesses of the head. I did this on Cranowaterfell's advice. It's a silly question but the oil pump seems to be doing it's job. I just wanted to confirm that. I did start the motor for the first time and it ran smoothly. I was worried since this was my first ring job and timing chain reinstall.

Second, what's my next step? this week may see some decent weather in the northeast so I was thinking of taking it over to the river and running it on the trailer. Not sure if I am willing to take it out in this weather because I am still pretty weary of my work. The break in period is an hour then change the oil correct?
    Can anyone provide some reassurance.LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranofwaterfell View Post

Thread Information