Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil change before winterize

So I've only put 10 hrs on my 2018 rxt-x 300 this year. I'm about to winterize it and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. Seems like a waste to change it with only 10hrs on the oil. When I pull the dipstic, it looks brand new. What do you think?

+1
    Dip stick will not tell you how clean the oil is, once you start pumping you'll see its black as tar. 10hr is a good point to dump the original oil anyway, it has a lot of break-in garbage in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Dip stick will not tell you how clean the oil is, once you start pumping you'll see its black as tar. 10hr is a good point to dump the original oil anyway, it has a lot of break-in garbage in it.
    I guess I should have specified, I have 79hrs on it. I did a fresh oil change at the end of last season and only put 10 hrs on it since.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jognnyb21 View Post
    I guess I should have specified, I have 79hrs on it. I did a fresh oil change at the end of last season and only put 10 hrs on it since.
    You'll be fine. Just make sure to fog the engine properly for storage.

5. +1 by:

+1
    10 hours is where I personally draw the line. The 300s have so much ring blow by that on testing after only 15-20 hours, the oil has 3% of gasoline in it. I recommend changing every 20-25 hours. That being said, you can change it now or in 10 more hours next season. You will be fine either way. I only had 10 hours or so on my 18 PX this season and changed the oil.

+1
    I was thinking the same thing, about 8-10 hours on it this year, since i bought it used, Hardly worth a oil change

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RCR View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, about 8-10 hours on it this year, since i bought it used, Hardly worth a oil change
    My wife put only 3hrs on her TX this season, I still did a oil change. Very cheap insurance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jognnyb21 View Post
    So I've only put 10 hrs on my 2018 rxt-x 300 this year. I'm about to winterize it and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. Seems like a waste to change it with only 10hrs on the oil. When I pull the dipstic, it looks brand new. What do you think?
    10 hours or 100 hours, 1-2 quarts of used dirty oil stays in the engine during "oil changes". Change oil frequently and always a new filter.

+1
    Guys wasn't there a thread where someone showed us where to drill a hole in the valve cover to get out a lot more oil during a change?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    Guys wasn't there a thread where someone showed us where to drill a hole in the valve cover to get out a lot more oil during a change?
    If you follow the procedures here (especially steps 8-11), you should be able to get most of the oil out:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information