Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Oil change before winterize

    So I've only put 10 hrs on my 2018 rxt-x 300 this year. I'm about to winterize it and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. Seems like a waste to change it with only 10hrs on the oil. When I pull the dipstic, it looks brand new. What do you think?

  2. #2
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,289
    +1
    1,160
    Dip stick will not tell you how clean the oil is, once you start pumping you'll see its black as tar. 10hr is a good point to dump the original oil anyway, it has a lot of break-in garbage in it.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Dip stick will not tell you how clean the oil is, once you start pumping you'll see its black as tar. 10hr is a good point to dump the original oil anyway, it has a lot of break-in garbage in it.
    I guess I should have specified, I have 79hrs on it. I did a fresh oil change at the end of last season and only put 10 hrs on it since.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    1,657
    +1
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jognnyb21 View Post
    I guess I should have specified, I have 79hrs on it. I did a fresh oil change at the end of last season and only put 10 hrs on it since.
    You'll be fine. Just make sure to fog the engine properly for storage.

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,563
    +1
    244
    10 hours is where I personally draw the line. The 300s have so much ring blow by that on testing after only 15-20 hours, the oil has 3% of gasoline in it. I recommend changing every 20-25 hours. That being said, you can change it now or in 10 more hours next season. You will be fine either way. I only had 10 hours or so on my 18 PX this season and changed the oil.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Just North of the USA
    Posts
    32
    +1
    2
    I was thinking the same thing, about 8-10 hours on it this year, since i bought it used, Hardly worth a oil change

  8. #7
    moparguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Posts
    2,577
    +1
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by RCR View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, about 8-10 hours on it this year, since i bought it used, Hardly worth a oil change
    My wife put only 3hrs on her TX this season, I still did a oil change. Very cheap insurance.


  9. #8
    1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,811
    +1
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Jognnyb21 View Post
    So I've only put 10 hrs on my 2018 rxt-x 300 this year. I'm about to winterize it and I'm wondering if I should change the oil. Seems like a waste to change it with only 10hrs on the oil. When I pull the dipstic, it looks brand new. What do you think?
    10 hours or 100 hours, 1-2 quarts of used dirty oil stays in the engine during "oil changes". Change oil frequently and always a new filter.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Northeastern Mass.
    Posts
    713
    +1
    75
    Guys wasn't there a thread where someone showed us where to drill a hole in the valve cover to get out a lot more oil during a change?

  11. #10
    Xspook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Space coast, FL (Brevard County)
    Posts
    1,852
    +1
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    Guys wasn't there a thread where someone showed us where to drill a hole in the valve cover to get out a lot more oil during a change?
    If you follow the procedures here (especially steps 8-11), you should be able to get most of the oil out:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oil change/ spark plug change packages
    By seabrook in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 04:50 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2017, 03:58 PM
  3. Oil change question - do I need to warm up the machine before doing an oil change?
    By hotsoup in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 04:47 PM
  4. 250X oil change 3.5 or 4 quarts with filter change
    By efizjb in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
  5. will a generic marine oil pump suffice to change my RXP'oil?
    By theantiRXP in forum Sea Doo How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •