Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2019 Yamaha VX Cruiser won't start...

Hi everyone was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a possible fix before I have to break down and go to dealer. I've searched around the internet but haven't really found anything specific to my problem. I'll lay the specifics out...

Was winterizing my wave runners last week and when finishing up my 2019 vx cruiser I over tightened a spark plug and it tore right off and left the threaded part in. In disbelief I said to myself ok I just put fogging oil in cylinders and I wanted to just crank it with the broken off plug still in the cylinder. Since I did not have an extractor set handy I did so and thought nothing of it.

Yesterday I finally got around to extracting the threaded piece of spark plug with minimal effort using an extractor bit. I put a new plug in just to see if everything would start and nothing. The dash gauge lights up and everything but the engine is absolutely dead no crank nothing. Key fob not working either. Figuring it was the battery since its been cold I put the battery tender on it and it wouldn't take a charge after a few hours. So I buy a new AGM battery and hook it up same thing nothing with the engine. Take all the plugs out and put new ones in, nothing. It powers on but no engine or key fob. My thinking is in my stupidity in cranking the engine with the plug broken I messed something up or something got fried. My buddy seems to think its the key fob. I put new battery in it and same thing.

Maybe somebody can offer some suggestions. Thanks

Mark.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What does power up or respond when you press the Start button?
    Lanyard in place, of course.

Does the dash wake up when Start is pressed?

Use the remote fob to LOCK, then UNlock the dash security.
    See if the engine will now crank with Start button.

If the coin battery inside the remote is weak, replace it.

Regarding the broken spark plug, are you sure nothing fell into the cylinder?
    The ceramic center core and tip came out with the plug?
    When you extracted the broken plug shell was it complete, including the ground electrode?

Hi, yes the dash wakes up but nothing else happens.

The key fob does not respond to any presses. I put a new battery in and same result.

The whole plug came out minus the threaded part with electrode. When I got that out by unscrewing it with an extractor bit it came out clean with electrode still in place.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkCobra View Post
    … the dash wakes up but nothing else happens.

The key fob does not respond to any presses.

I put a new battery in and same result. ...
    Does the dash show the ‘Locked’ indication? Refer to Owners manual to confirm what a Locked dash would look like on your model.

Sometimes when a battery goes weak (or just because) the security module inside the hull can decide to ‘sort of’ lock the ECU. The Start button will not make the ski start, but the dash may not show as ‘looked’ even though the security module is what is causing the problem.

The normal ‘fix’ is to use the remote fob to lock, then unlock the security module.

If your remote control fob simply does not work (they are not waterproof) even with a new battery (are you sure the new battery is actually good?), then hopefully you have a second fob.

If not, a visit to the dealer might be necessary. They can easily add another fob to your ski, then use that to do the lock, unlock cycle.

If that works, buy the new fob from the dealer.

Independent Yamaha repair techs often also have the ability to add additional remotes to a ski. CANDooPro (available from the GH online store) sells a fairly inexpensive tool that just adds remotes to Yamaha PWC. You would still have to source another remote from somewhere. A ‘good used’ remote can be added to your ski, same as a new remote.

The dash does not indicate locked. It comes on then looks normal. Then times out.

The fob just does not work. I went to lowes and bought a new energizer cr2016 and it still doesn't work.

I'll look into getting another fob somewhere or going to the dealer to see if they can see if a new one would do the trick.

I appreciate all the help. Thank you.

I was talking to local dealer today and was asking if I could swing by and see if a new fob would work but they are 2 weeks out from appointments. He was trying to tell me that the issue could be electrical/fuses/relays. They want $300 for a fob and programming which is insane.

At least its winter now.

Quick question..

I don't have another fob except for the one for my 2018 VXHO. If I buy the candoo Yamaha remote entry tool could I program the vxho fob to the 2019 that won't start to see if it'll work? And then program it back to the 2018?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkCobra View Post
    Quick question..

I don't have another fob except for the one for my 2018 VXHO.

If I buy the candoo Yamaha remote entry tool could I program the vxho fob to the 2019 that won't start to see if it'll work?
    And then program it back to the 2018?
    You can do that.
    You would need to confirm the 2018 remote is compatible with the 2019 Yamaha. I would think it is.

The catch is that if you end up with both watercraft coded to the same remote then they will both react when a remote fob button is pressed, unless the 12 volt battery is disconnected in one of the machines.

There is a method to delete (all?) remotes from the security system in a ski. I forget how that is done, but it is described in the candoopro info for the coding tool.

Ok thanks for responding and helping me out with this. At this point getting the candoo might be my cheapest way to figure this out since the dealer is gonna charge $150/hr diagnostic fee.

I verified that the 2 remotes are the same model.

K447, Before I pull the trigger on a candoo do you think it could be something else? I checked the fuses they looked good but I didn't pull the relays. Is there other things I can check?

UPDATE: I started pressing the green start button repeatedly and I'm getting little engine clunks like for split second its gonna start.
    Last edited by MarkCobra; 11-18-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information