Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

+1
    To me it all comes down to your mechanical abilities if you can work on the older skis to keep them up and running because they all need work and maintenance
    Di Skis Emm repair 400-600
    Flywheel 300-500
    Fuel regulator upgrade ???

carb skis
    rebuild carbs 300-400.00 in parts
    cdi and stator 400-600
    misc ???

i still love my carbed skis and do not have any starting problems with any of them so to me that's a myth

it all comes down to how much of the repairs you can do yourself

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Just curious as to why you say to stay away?
    My response is solely to what the original post stated and what was asked for. This was not about a DI debate, but some people made it out to be that.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I have never had a real problem with my carb skis. The talk of hard starting or temp changes just never effected me. But I understand the workings of the fuel system.

HOWEVER..... When it came to Steph, she would have difficulties starting the ski because she never understood the choke. She would attempt to use it and give up. Then proceed to tell me it won't start. So I would question her if she tried "A", tried doing"B", and she would always say yes. I would get off my ski and fire hers up with modest cranking. To which she would tell me, it didn't work for her. I was so frustrated with this dance. Once I got the injected skis, my life got MUCH easier.

5. +1 by:

+1

"Best" Polaris Jetskis

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I have never had a real problem with my carb skis. The talk of hard starting or temp changes just never effected me. But I understand the workings of the fuel system.

HOWEVER..... When it came to Steph, she would have difficulties starting the ski because she never understood the choke. She would attempt to use it and give up. Then proceed to tell me it won't start. So I would question her if she tried "A", tried doing"B", and she would always say yes. I would get off my ski and fire hers up with modest cranking. To which she would tell me, it didn't work for her. I was so frustrated with this dance. Once I got the injected skis, my life got MUCH easier.
    Exact same for my wife, and once she got on the MSX HULL she was in love. Deep footwells mean less splashing on her with the ability to go over choppy water with ease, it was a perfect fit for her.

I found a super clean 04 red 140 with 120 hours for 600 that had low compression. Rebuilt it for her and she has not got on another 2 seater since.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	488850

I guess for the original post MA-Chris. Give us a bit more information, like who is riding it, what do you like about your 700, do you want easier starts, are you capable of working on these skis, do you want to learn a new platform, more riders, do you want to stick with a carbureted ski. You see there are so many differences on all these skis and we all have our opinions about what we like about each model. And yea maybe we a complicating your decision a bit but we just want to steer you in the right direction for your needs.
    Last edited by Sage18; 11-28-2022 at 05:36 AM.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Hi all,

Long time, glad to see all the same names hanging around!

To OP MA-Chris (and I have read through the entire thread) I see that no one has suggested a domestic triple! If you like the SL 700, then I think you would love (to upgrade to) an SL900, SL1050, SLXH or SLX1050 or a 2000 to 2001 SLX1200.

The later of the models I have mentioned should have updated CDI? Others with more knowledge on that will chime in if needed.

Bottom line any of those boats will have flat hulls that are great for speed and spin outs. Super fun boats.

I will completely agree with Xlint89 though, my wife cannot cold start my SLX1050. Period. She loves it once its going though.

Mine might be kind of picky though as she is not the only one that has trouble starting it besides me. We have a very similar 96 SL900 however that starts like a breeze and is fun as hell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by absentx View Post

To OP MA-Chris (and I have read through the entire thread) I see that no one has suggested a domestic triple! If you like the SL 700, then I think you would love (to upgrade to) an SL900, SL1050, SLXH or SLX1050 or a 2000 to 2001 SLX1200.
    Apparently ya missed my post #12

+1
    This thread kinda makes me sad, what happened to this sport? I remember when I had an SL 750 and something like an MSX seemed like a huge barge. Now an MSX looks like a small and playful ski that would be a lot of fun. Skis got so big. Fucking hippies man, give me back my two strokes.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    This thread kinda makes me sad, what happened to this sport? I remember when I had an SL 750 and something like an MSX seemed like a huge barge. Now an MSX looks like a small and playful ski that would be a lot of fun. Skis got so big. Fucking hippies man, give me back my two strokes.
    Funny you should mention that. Years ago I was letting the engine cool down during a heat cycle on one of my skis.

A little kid was so excited when he saw it he told his dad, "look dad, a mini jet ski"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information