Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Virage TXi (1200) and Virage i (800cc) had fuel injection while Virage (700cc) and Virage TX (1200) had carburetors.
    Some TXi models had TX decals on the outside, just to be confusing.

Carburetor engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up from the top center of each cylinder.
    IIRC it was only the 2001 Virage TXI that left the factory without the "I" decal. It was the only Virage with all black top ( hood-counsel-seat) But those things can be changed after 20 years.
    Always look for spark plugs/wires straight up, just like your 700.

If you plan on 3 ski's ,absolutely try different models the SL700. You might just like them more.
    The Genesis was a 4 seater,I was surprised how much it was like the Virage with handling and power. Worth adding to your search.

+1
    If it were me...the 2000 or newer Virage or Virage TX for a 3 seater...the 2000 or newer SLH or SLX for a 2 seater. Stay away from the DI skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Stay away from the DI skis.
    DI skis have their issues. But so do carburetors (3 of them on a triple!) and CDIs. Folks that hate on DIs frankly just most likely don't understand them.

4. +1 by:

+1
    There will always be "fear of the unknown".. Some people simply dont understand electrical stuff and no desire to learn, many times people VERY experienced with mechanical .

The OP asked about "simple"ski's , like his SL700, seems to be his comfort zone or experience.

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    DI skis have their issues. But so do carburetors (3 of them on a triple!) and CDIs. Folks that hate on DIs frankly just most likely don't understand them.
    I understand them probably as well as anyone else here...but hey, thanks for the put down...I would have expected better from a Moderator!
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 11-26-2022 at 05:18 PM.

+1
    I have had a ton of Polaris skis. Currently have 16. I have many carburetor skis 650, 750, 780, 700, 1050, 1200, and I have two of the DIs as in the msx 140s, I have two of the 4 stroke MSX 150s as well. In my opinion they all are a new learning and spending time with each one of them they all have their good qualities. They all are great skis once you learn how to work on them and fix their faults. I have great running skis in all platforms from polaris. For the OP I think the next good step up for him would be to find a well taken care of SLX 780. They are awesome skis with a little more pep than the sl700! If you have a ski with good compression to start then rebuild the carburetors and fuel lines and you would probably have a great ski for a number of years. Plus there are a bunch of SLX 780s out there for sale. Just my 2 cents

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Please be warned that the fuel injected engines are nice, but they do have drawbacks. Namely the computer, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. They do fail, and cost for the computer repair is up there.
    Yup. And the price of replacing a CDI and stator on carb machines is up there too. And if one is not willing or able to rebuild their carbs then thats not cheap either. Of course I'm biased towards the DI's

10. +1 by:

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    If it were me...the 2000 or newer Virage or Virage TX for a 3 seater...the 2000 or newer SLH or SLX for a 2 seater. Stay away from the DI skis.
    Just curious as to why you say to stay away?

I have always had carb'ed models until the recent purchases of the MSX 140 and the Virage TXI.

Never a problem with the MSX. Just did a preventative fuel pressure regulator fix on that one.

Virage TXI I did a fuel pump, did the pressure regulator fix, and also had the EMM fixed. Had a no start condition about 2 years ago, but wound up being the circuit breaker was corroded and not allowing full 12V to go through it. Can't blame the DI on that one.

Yes, those are expensive repairs, but the ski is very low maintenance after they were done. It's pretty quick and people really enjoy riding that one. I LOVE that 2 stroke "hit", but a lot of people do not, and they don't seem to have a problem with TXI.

Don't get me wrong, I will always have my carbed models, but I do find myself always checking up on their condition by looking at the piston wash. (not necessarily a bad thing as I can catch a potential problem early), but the average guy probably will not.

12. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    MSX 140 and the Virage TXI.

Never a problem with the MSX. Just did a preventative fuel pressure regulator fix on that one.

Virage TXI I did a fuel pump, did the pressure regulator fix, and also had the EMM fixed.

Yes, those are expensive repairs, but the ski is very low maintenance after they were done. It's pretty quick and people really enjoy riding that one. I LOVE that 2 stroke "hit", but a lot of people do not, and they don't seem to have a problem with TXI.

Don't get me wrong, I will always have my carbed models, but I do find myself always checking up on their condition by looking at the piston wash. (not necessarily a bad thing as I can catch a potential problem early), but the average guy probably will not.
    My experience with Ficht models is similar.

Once the few well documented items were taken care of the Ficht system just ran and ran. Just about everything else is normal Polaris PWC stuff, same as the carb models.

I like how few fuel system parts there are in the Ficht engine compartment. No external fuel filter or water separator, no choke, no fuel shut-off valve. Just two fuel hoses connecting directly between engine and fuel tank.

Many casual riders, especially novice riders, tend to prefer the smooth and linear throttle response and consistent power delivery. I also prefer the linear Ficht power response over the power surge that the carbed engines would typically deliver as the engine gained RPM.

No choke, no fuel shut-off valve, no special instructions (regarding the engine operation) required for a newbie to use the machine. Starts every time, hot or cold. Idle is consistent RPM and smooth. Works correctly automatically even in very cold air or very warm, no tuning or carb adjustments with seasons.

Never any exhaust smoke or unburned fuel smell. Mid-throttle fuel economy was fairly good (for a PWC).

14. +1 by:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information