Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gp1800 rough water upgrades

2019 gp1800 svho. done a couple long rides in really challenging water conditions. looking to see what others recommend for improving rough water riding capabilities (i need to improve my skills too...)

for context, i'm riding in peconic and gardiners bay on long island. wind based waves and some ocean swell further out. rough/challenging water is very subjective so info from weather forecast on my last couple rides (i use my sailing app predictwind which is great). height 3-4ft, period 3 seconds. because it is wind blown, the waves come at a constant angle/direction and the tight formation makes the waves really steep and challenging. i actually debated getting an fx over the gp but i'm not sure the size would help (i used to have a 26ft boat and would have to slow down below 20mph in these type of conditions) - any riding advice also appreciated....

thanks all

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    GP1800R SVHO, correct?

What upgrades, if any, have already been done?

The R version already comes with the better Yamaha intake grate.
    The Riva Gen 2 intake grate would probably further improve the rough water hook-up.

I hesitate to recommend the current Riva ride plate for rough water use only because I have had limited time riding with it. The Riva ride plate is probably an improvement for your case but I will defer to others who have spent more time with it on your model hull.

Other tweaks worth considering would be the Worx extended for the trim motor arm. Increases the range and effect of the nozzle trim function. Related upgrade would be the extended steering nozzle. Better steering response and also increased trim effect. These are both incremental upgrades.

The ride plate and intake grate choices will have the biggest initial effect.

Stock impeller?

Does your hull already have the tapered transom plate?

Engine tune?

What aspects of the hull are you hoping to improve?

When I did the initial config for our own GP1800 SVHO when riding in semi-rough, we wanted better jet pump grip on the water and more consistent hull tracking over the waves and during turns.

A sponson upgrade can help with the hull tracking, in conjunction with the ride plate.
    Note that ride plate tuning may be required, such as swimming the rear of the plate down.

thanks! correct gp1800r svho.
    completely stock for now. main mods i'm planning are for handling as the speed/acceleration seems more than adequate. based on your comments sounds like i was thinking properly - riva grate and plate. trim extension and steering sounds interesting - will look into that.

would prop be for better hookup? or other benefits?

have you ridden the fx? my buddy rode my gp and wants to get one but was debating the fx cause the rough water we have. i dont think the extra size will help with the water we deal with but wondering what people think who have ridden both

Lake Lion
    +1
    Ask Dean for his extended ride plate mod and extended steering nozzle.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mschlee View Post

have you ridden the fx?

my buddy rode my gp and wants to get one but was debating the fx cause the rough water we have.

I don't think the extra size will help with the water we deal with but wondering what people think who have ridden both
    The GP1800 SVHO hull is quite competent and the engine has brawny power. The hull is not going to provide a smooth comfy ride on rough water. But ridden well it can travel with significant speed across non-smooth water.

We normally ride standing up with flexed legs. This allows the hull to dance across the water while our upper body stays relatively stable. I often ride across water while standing that would be spine punishing if I was seated.

On semi-rough water the new FX with SMC hull material would probably provide a more comfortable ride than GP, if riders were seated on both. The FX hull SMC material is denser and should also be quieter when impacting waves than the NanoXcel 2 hull on GP1800. Not that my own GP1800 hull water impact sounds have ever been a concern for us.

I have yet to ride the SMC FX so I do not have direct experience.

Thanks for the routing impressions. I ride standing up as well. I tried sitting just to feel it out, and lasted about 30 seconds. I can’t imagine riding sitting down in the conditions I described above. Can I take from your description that standing up in 3ft waves with a 3 second period would not be drastically different on either ski?

+1
    I have a 22 GP and FX. The FX rides significantly better than the GP and feels more stable. It doesn’t get up and go like the GP, and it’s not as nimble, but for a bigger, heavier ski, it still handles extremely well.

Thanks slayer. Great to head that you ride both. Given the size and weight difference, assume light chop would be nicer on the fx. Do you think there would be much of a difference on bigger, say 3ft chop?

+1
    We regularly get into 1-2ft chop transitioning from the lakes to the ship channels. The FX is noticeably better at handling the rougher conditions. It feels more predictable. Less side to side sway. Wants to push through the waves instead of bouncing off of them. I’m confident riding both in those conditions, I just adjust my riding style to suit.

Thanks, great info. Think I’ll tell him to go for the Gp - more fun in flat water and not terrible in big chop if you adjust riding style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information