Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Some water inside the hull - possible reasons for that

Hi,
    I had a FX HO 2011 since 2 years and changed now to a FX Cruiser HO 2017 in perfect condition with just 40 operation hours.
    I am fully satiesfied with it but after 1 hour ride I find about 1.5 liter of water inside the hull. Not dramatic but I am wondering where it comes from, my old one always stayed dry inside...
    I am technically interested and would like to clarify this. Could someone please share the typical causes where this water can come from and how I should act best to identify the root cause of it.
    Thank you guys
    Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver1969; 09-30-2022 at 02:59 AM.

+1
    Yamaha has a pretty commonly known issue with the transom factory sealant not being very good, and it seems as much as (my rough guess) 90% of people who have water in hull have found this problem to be the cause. If that is the case, you could fill the hull with water with nose lifted up, to check on where water comes out. That would verify the transom seal being the problem…If there’s no indication of water coming out of the hull, the next logical place would be to check all the hoses and clamps. That would be a much more difficult job and can require running with seat off in water, or even to have cameras in the hull to catch the leak.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Do you typically ride on smooth water or rough water with waves?

There are many ways that water can get inside the hull while riding.

Make sure the bilge scavenge hose (which connects to the jet pump) is clipped up high inside the hull. There is a plastic elbow that is normally attached near the top of the mid-wall or somewhere nearby, just below the seat. This hose elbow (sometimes called the breather fitting for the bilge siphon hose) must not be laying in the hull bottom. The hose routing up from the jet pump and then down to the bilge inlet is there to prevent reverse water flow from the jet pump going into the hull.

The sealant used by the factory for the transom plate is known to allow water to leak inside. The water seeps into the hull openings where the water fittings and steering cable pass through.

The common fix is to remove the transom plate, clean away the original sealant and then re-seal with a better product such as 3M 4200 Fast Cure.

It is also possible for the driveshaft area inside the hull to seep water. Check the two large hose clamps around the rubber tube behind the mid-wall.

Also inspect the mid-wall bearing housing. Sometimes the internal seals can fail. Or the housing itself cracks where the rubber ring is bonded to the metal housing.

Inspect and tighten every large hose clamp in the exhaust system inside the hull. Make sure the rubber is fully seated and that each clamp is in the correct position. There is water injected into the exhaust gas flow. If there is a small exhaust leak the water can escape into the hull.

Inspect all the hoses and clamps for the water cooling system inside the hull.

Inspect the hull drain plugs. Check for damaged or missing o-ring seal, damaged plastic or loose hull fitting.

It is possible for water to leak into the hull around the bolts for the intake grate or ride plate. One method is to tilt the trailer front high, then partially fill the hull with garden hose water. Wait a while and look under the hull for water dripping. If water drips out then something is leaking.

Check the rubber seals around the front hood opening. Make sure the hood closes properly and actually seals to the hull opening.

Methods for locating the water source.

Do not assume there is only one path that is allowing water into the hull. There may be several leaks, some may be quite small.

Remove the seats, and back the trailer into the water (jet pump fully submerged) with the hull fully tied down to the trailer. Run the engine on the trailer and inspect inside the hull. Confirm that the engine cooling water flow is active (water side exits are streaming out). Use a strong light to look for water drips around the transom, exhaust, driveline, and water cooling system.

Ride with the seats removed, so you can look down into the hull. Look for water entering the hull. This can be difficult to do but some leaks only occur when riding at speed.

Mount a video camera (GoPro or similar) inside the hull, with some lighting, and ride. This may require multiple camera recordings looking in different directions. The camera mount must be firm to minimize camera shake. Review the video to hopefully reveal where the water is coming from.

+1
    I had the same issue, same model. It was failed sealant on the transom plate. It got progressively worse, I thought it was going to sink. Yamaha covered it under warranty. It has been bone dry since the fix

5. +1 by:

Dear Teufelhund, K447 and bizeagle,

I thought this morning let's see if someone at all has replied - and was so delighted when I found your posts !

I will thoroughly process everything you wrote, just started:
    1) I drive on Germanys biggest river "Rhein", sweet water, heavy flow but no waves - except from the transport ships passing by offering a series of opportunities for jumps...
    2) bilge scavenge hose is clipped up high inside the hull - see photo.
    3) transom plate sealant - this is the item which all of you mentioned. Question:
    Would you say I could remove the transom plate myself because the only thing to do is loosen and tighten a lot of screws or this is tricky and I should better have a Jetski workshop do this?

While I continue to work down everthing of the great checklist and troubleshooting guide you provided one mores question:
    The "mid-wall bearing housing" - is the same a as the intermediate housing? To find this part, do I have to remove the big black plastic box mounted in front of the mid-wall? See photo

Thank you so much for helping me - I will keep you updated my progress
    Oliver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	487922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1543.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	487923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transom Plate.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	487924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intermediate Housing.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	487925  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    This linked thread shows how the GP1800 transom plate is removed and re-installed. Your FX transom plate would be similar. Item 1 in diagram.

Do not overlook the small bolt (item 5) when removing the jet pump.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2891743

The electrical box cover can be removed (sliding latches at top) to gain some visibility down to the intermediate bearing housing (item 4 in diagram, aka mid-wall). The entire electrical panel can be unbolted and moved forward (disconnect battery first) for direct visual on the intermediate housing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver1969 View Post
    Would you say I could remove the transom plate myself because the only thing to do is loosen and tighten a lot of screws or this is tricky and I should better have a Jetski workshop do this?
    kannst auch selber machen, habe bei meinem GP1800 gemacht

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver1969 View Post
    Hi,
    I had a FX HO 2011 since 2 years and changed now to a FX Cruiser HO 2017 in perfect condition with just 40 operation hours.
    I am fully satiesfied with it but after 1 hour ride I find about 1.5 liter of water inside the hull. Not dramatic but I am wondering where it comes from, my old one always stayed dry inside...
    I am technically interested and would like to clarify this. Could someone please share the typical causes where this water can come from and how I should act best to identify the root cause of it.
    Thank you guys
    Oliver

You need to remove and re seal your transom plate. More info here http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...hlight=tip+day

removing and resealing transom plate sounds fun but it isn't. If you are just getting a cup worth of water live with it, it will not get worse over night. If you are experiencing other symptoms such as cavitation it may be worth resealing but you need the service manual, and a variety of thread sealant compounds. If under warranty get your local yamaha dealer to reseal. I did mine and it was PIA. You need to remove the frame around your rear compartment, remove the exhaust tubes for lack of a better term to even get to the fasteners. You need to remove ride plate, start taking the pump out, then get to the transom plate and remvoe, then clean the old sealant off (PIA), hopefully get everything back together. There is no return on on effort if you are under liter of water in haul. you have a bilge pump that constantly scavenges as you ride, then a back up electric. Next time you go out suck the water out of haul with shop vac and I bet its alot less than you guess it was....

Wow, that's a bunch of work! Thanks for the heads up on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information