Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    456
    +1
    36

    Quick question about how cold??

    So itís been a while since I posted but I have a question. I got my 2018 RTX-X running great again with a stage III plus kit.

    the ski will run 86.7 all day long and tear your arms off out of the hole.

    My question is this. I live in NC and the outside temp right now is roughly low to mid 70ís. The water obviously has cooled down but today I took the ski out and I didnít go over 4-5K for the first 30 minutes. The engine temp never got over 132.

    I did crack it open for about an 1/8Ē of a mile but I havenít run in water that cold before with an open loop system.

    Is it going to hurt anything? Iím not sure if I have to change block off plates to bring the temps up or leave it alone.

    thoughts?

    thanks,


    Mark

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    1,562
    +1
    138
    As long as you can adjust your AFR's for the colder weather you should be okay.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    456
    +1
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    As long as you can adjust your AFR's for the colder weather you should be okay.
    Easy enough... thanks for the heads up!

    Mark

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    Easy enough... thanks for the heads up!

    Mark
    I ran open loop with the Riva thermostat with the different size holes in the washer to control motor temps. In the fall here in OH I couldn't get the engine temp up. I switch the thermostat to a 160 degree from Aqua sport.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    456
    +1
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIBELLA View Post
    I ran open loop with the Riva thermostat with the different size holes in the washer to control motor temps. In the fall here in OH I couldn't get the engine temp up. I switch the thermostat to a 160 degree from Aqua sport.

    Thank you!

  6. #6
    1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,687
    +1
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    So it’s been a while since I posted but I have a question. I got my 2018 RTX-X running great again with a stage III plus kit.

    the ski will run 86.7 all day long and tear your arms off out of the hole.

    My question is this. I live in NC and the outside temp right now is roughly low to mid 70’s. The water obviously has cooled down but today I took the ski out and I didn’t go over 4-5K for the first 30 minutes. The engine temp never got over 132.

    I did crack it open for about an 1/8” of a mile but I haven’t run in water that cold before with an open loop system.

    Is it going to hurt anything? I’m not sure if I have to change block off plates to bring the temps up or leave it alone.

    thoughts?

    thanks,


    Mark

    132*F is to low. Use a higher degree thermostat as suggested above and use a smaller restrictor at the pump.


  7. #7
    DR2006RXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,412
    +1
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    Thank you!
    Yes I agree a 160 would work perfect

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/33444658934...mis&media=COPY

  8. +1 by:


  9. #8
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    9,767
    +1
    1,883
    I run a 160 in my conversion. Never any problems and we ride all year round.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania, US
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    132*F is to low. Use a higher degree thermostat as suggested above and use a smaller restrictor at the pump.
    I thought the whole point of the thermostat was to restrict flow to keep the engine at the right temperature. Wouldn't the smaller restrictor be redundant?

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    456
    +1
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by The Von Matrices View Post
    I thought the whole point of the thermostat was to restrict flow to keep the engine at the right temperature. Wouldn't the smaller restrictor be redundant?

    I don't have a thermostat because I installed the open loop system and it just calls for a fender washer with about a 5/16" hole in it.

    I ran last week and because it's cooler, I couldn't get it over 118 degrees. I'm ordering a smaller hole disc for the pump and if that doesn't work, I'll install a 160 thermostat.


    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 15F Cold Air Intake - Need Help Quick
    By texas347 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
  2. Cold air intake question
    By miniion26 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
  3. Quick Question. Need VERY quick answer. SLX compression
    By ryanbgb22 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
  4. Question about cold air injection
    By jmaxy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
  5. Quick and easy,down and dirty,cold air for the RXT
    By SKR8PN in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •