Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks! Definitely smells like fuel on the plug. I'm going to bypass the filter to eliminate that.

+1
    I re-read your first post and saw that the crankcase was filled with oil. This means that the check valve(s) is leaking.

It takes a lot of cranking with the spark plugs out to clear the oil out. Even then it will still have a lot of oil in it and smoke a lot.

As far as idling, these engines don't idle for long periods very well. Keep in mind that it will run rich when out of the water.

Yes, the crank was full of oil but I am confident I have all of that out. It filled with oil over a period of two years and from the forums it seemed that could happen.

Today I swapped the plugs, same result. Hooked up external fuel, same result. Cylinder 3 is still cold despite showing spark with the plug out of the cylinder. Plenty of fuel in there when I pull the plug (its wet and it seems like fuel, not oil). I did hook a hose up to the pulse line of the fuel pump and try to see if it would hold a vacuum...it would not. Does this indicate a ruptured diaphragm?

The exhaust looks like it has a lot of un-burnt fuel and oil in it...

I will do a compression test next...at one point it did feel like it was running properly but then stopped. The CDI was already swapped on this, I wonder if this one is going bad too?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	487831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	487832  
    Last edited by Mikes1200STXR; 09-26-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Can someone tell me if putting vacuum on the pulse line port of the fuel pump should result in vacuum being held? Or should it flow air?

+1
    It should hold vacuum. Perhaps you have a small pinhole in the diaphragm that is leaking fuel into the pulse line. However, I don't know if the pump would still pump, and I don't know if the fuel would get into the crankcase because it would have pulses in two directions.

Well I can definitely confirm that the pulse line will not hold vacuum or pressure...whatever the human lungs can do, it cant hold that. Seems like a fuel pump is in order...

+1
    Make sure that it's not a split in the hose or something before you replace the pump. If the hose is good, I'd check the screws on the housing to make sure they're tight. If it still leaks, I'd open it up and take a look.

Kawasaki pumps are expensive because they won't sell you the diaphragms. Looks like there are some aftermarket pumps on Ebay. I don't know anything about them, but they're cheap. Part # 59336-3737, same pump used on the STX-R and the Ultra 150.

Thanks Steve. It's a brand new hose hooked to the pump just to test it. Definitely not the hose. I ordered a pump, ill report back when it's in. I also cut the spark plug wire back 1/4". Thanks for all your help so far!

Well, looks like it was the fuel pump. Fired right up, running on all cylinders. Idle was super high from being adjusted to running on two. Doesn't die out after a few minutes, keeps on running. Seems to be OK now...I didn't rev it up too much but it did respond to the throttle. Time for a splash test!

+1
    Good! Did you buy an OEM pump or aftermarket?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information