Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

02 GTX DI Zero Power Issue

So I'm having power issues with this GTX DI. I tried basic trouble shooting with no luck. From what I've read it MIGHT be a bad MPEM. The ski will turn if I jump the solenoid. So I'm pretty sure it's electric. I'm here for some input from the pros.

The ski gets zero power, as if there was no battery hooked up. No beeps or anything when key is on. No gauges or anything come on when Start button is pressed. Just dead. Battery is new and good (tested with meter). I've checked all fuses including the one in the back electrical box, all good. I've tested power at the starter solenoid (actually replaced it) and it has good voltage. Tested the DESS post by checking the Black and Black/Yellow with key on and off, key off OL, key on 000.0. Which means it's good from what I've read. Not sure how to exactly test the MPEM for power in and out.

All connections look good. Grounds are clean and tight. I have a new Regulator (Rectifier) on it's way so we'll if that does anything.

So my question is, is there anything I'm missing that I can check before taking it to a shop? Should I try replacing the MPEM? They seem hard to find and the few I have found on eBay are like $600-$800. Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

get a wiring diagram and check the MPEM for power and grounds at the appropriate pins, guessing can get expensive
    What is the story, did you get the ski like this?

+1
    Check all major connections especially the one that plugs into the rear electrical box on top those pins like to corroade, take a set of jumpers and connect negitive on battery and find a good bolt to engine to give it a 2nd good ground, you be surprised got a few 4 strokes for dirt cheap because of bad grounding cables that gave the exact same condition that your describing, wiring harness to pins have to remove the feamale orange cap on the plug to check for corrosion, dess post rarely go bad and those mpem with a key sell for less then $400 usually around $300 to $350 I sell them all the time on ebay for this. If none of this works replace the mpem its good to have a spare

Quote Originally Posted by 4tec Hoarder View Post
    get a wiring diagram and check the MPEM for power and grounds at the appropriate pins, guessing can get expensive
    What is the story, did you get the ski like this?
    Yes I got the ski like this so not much history. I did DL and print the wiring diagram last night. I'm going to start checking each connector this week.

Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post
    Check all major connections especially the one that plugs into the rear electrical box on top those pins like to corroade, take a set of jumpers and connect negitive on battery and find a good bolt to engine to give it a 2nd good ground, you be surprised got a few 4 strokes for dirt cheap because of bad grounding cables that gave the exact same condition that your describing, wiring harness to pins have to remove the feamale orange cap on the plug to check for corrosion, dess post rarely go bad and those mpem with a key sell for less then $400 usually around $300 to $350 I sell them all the time on ebay for this. If none of this works replace the mpem its good to have a spare
    I will definitely try that. You say the connection on top in back? I don't have a connection there, there electrical tape though. If we're talking about the same area at least. I'll attach a picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220917_221125980.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	487770

The red wire needs to be on the battery post of the solenoid, it looks like it may be on the starter side??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo Di.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	487782  

The red wire needs to be on the battery post of the solenoid, it looks like it may be on the starter side??
    You sir were 100% correct! The first thing I did was change the solenoid out. Out of force of habit I just put things back as they were, didn't think to double check something so simple. Thank you!

I do have some form of life now. Dash now comes on BUT when I hit the Start/Stop button with the key on... Nothing happens. When I put the key on it beeps once with red light then that's it. Just a heads up, I'm used to ski's with way less electronics (older) so forgive me ahead of time if I'm missing something obvious. I can rebuild a blown engine all day but electronics are a pain.

One long beep usually indicates the wrong key/unprogrammed key. Try cleaning the inside of the key and key post

One long beep usually indicates the wrong key/unprogrammed key. Try cleaning the inside of the key and key post
    Ok cleaned things up. Same thing, one loud beep and dash goes to time and direction. I can hit mode to scroll through the hours, mph,etc.

Is there a way to program key without a CanDoo or is that the only option?

CanDooPro, BUDS, or your SeaDoo dealer is the only way to program it. There are guys on eBay that can do it if you send them the key and MPEM. I would go to the dealer first if you have one nearby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information