+1

2006 Seadoo 4tec Connecting Rod question & Bent Valve for Guru's

I own a 2006 gtx limited 215 SC that recently bent a valve and also bent a rod. I have replaced all the valves with the newer style and rebuilt the supercharger. When I replaced the bent rod and had everything on bottom end done it seems like the crank is not turning freely as it should. I know some rods have different numbers on them and was wandering if they are the same from same years (interchangeable)? My 2006 has #14 on them and the replacement has a #12 and I have another spare one I got from a 2006 non SC with #11 I am not using. If these are interchangeable and should have no issues, then I am thinking another bent rod I can't notice with the naked Eye. I am now even thinking of a bent crank or even a warped block?
    Any help appreciated... (Especially the different rod numbers explained)

+1
    Bent crankshaft? Bent block?

+1
    Won't know till I get to machine shop this week. My main concern right now is all 4tec rods interchangeable even with the different numbers I mentioned. Does anyone know what the numbers even mean?

+1
    A little background story on what happened to the engine? Water ingestion, sucked something in ?

As far as rods go I think all 155, 185, 215, 255, 260 hp are all the same and interchangeable with each other. Regardless of numbers stamped on them. Maybe you got a rod that is out of round. Have you measured it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeride View Post
    Won't know till I get to machine shop this week. My main concern right now is all 4tec rods interchangeable even with the different numbers I mentioned. Does anyone know what the numbers even mean?
    They are interchangeable

+1
    No its all being checked at machine shop now. They did check the crank when I was there today. They said it's not bent, but the journal that had the bent rod looked bad (Out of round) which could be my problem. They are going to turn the crank with this one 1st and will know then and if it can be turned. Should know next week on the crank and rods.

Thanks for the rod comments kind of what I thought.

+1
    Background on engine is listed in the beginning! Ski ran great then a rod bent. I found out this year ski 2006 especially with Super C has titanium filled valves known to bend and that's what happened. Dropped everything off at machine shop today. they checked the crank when I was there and its not bent. They said the journal that had the bent rod looks a little oblong and will have an answer if that's my issue when they grind it first and can be fixed. The rods are there also being checked. Thanks for the rod comments above! Kind of what I figured.

+1
    Crank checked out good not bent, only has to be polished. There were no bad journals as thought after journal's were checked with micrometer. One of the other rods was slightly bent on the big end where it connects to crank. Could not catch it by looking at it but machine shop found it slightly twisted. Had them check a spare one I had and all is good. I can now begin putting my motor back together once I get all the new bearings. Thanks for the comments.

+1
    The oil jets under the pistons can cause these issues as well. Clogged/etc/.

+1
    So still had issues (Oil jets are not in the block till i get this fixed). It has been found that there basically is no side clearance on the rods to crank. It looks like the crank got hot and swelled in these areas just enough to bind. The crank is not bent but it caused side clearance issues causing the binding. The machine shop did some very light machine work on the side of the rods. They are all within clearances and everything is turning fine now. Crank has been magnaflued and tuff rided. What a crazy ride that was. Thanks everyone

Thread Information