2016 VXHO (same as other 1800) flywheel removal/install

Bought a 16 vx ho that busted a rod but got real lucky on case damage (easy repair. Replacing the crank, rod and crank bearing. Am I just wasting my time thinking there is a reasonable way to remove this transfer shaft without the specialty tool? I've removed many MR1 flywheels so I'm okay once I can get past this transfer shaft and I have every tool I can think of except for the actual specialty tool to remove it and easily reinstall with proper torque. Any suggestions even if it requires non-aluminum welding? Or just buy the tool?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220910_230902.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	487601

+1
    You need 2 tools.

the flywheel holder tool with handle,
    and the spline took for going inside the stubby shaft.

I ruined a stubby not understanding how it came apart. The tools are needed. Deans team had tools in stock shipped same day for cheaper then anywhere I could find.

3. +1 by:

SBT sells the Tools also

5. +1 by:

+1
    After buying all the special tools I though about renting them out haha. Most will only need one time.

7. +1 by:

+1
    In addition to the tools mentioned, you’ll also need a 12mm hexagonal bit at least 120mm long to reach the “special nut” within the transfer shaft. The special nut is torqued from the factory to 184.4 ft.lbs against the end of the crankshaft, it’s basically a jamb nut to prevent the transfer shaft from spinning loose from the crankshaft. To loosen the special nut, insert the hex bit deep into the transfer shaft and turn it counterclockwise while holding the flywheel with the flywheel holding tool, once done you can remove the transfer shaft by using the spline tool in place of the hex bit and turn it counterclockwise while holding the flywheel.
    Now that the transfer shaft is off you can easily remove the flywheel.
    To reinstall everything, it’s best to refer to the service manual, because there are specific procedures and torque specs to follow if you want it to stay together.
    Last edited by jetdawg701; 09-20-2022 at 11:02 PM.

9. +1 by:

Okay, thanks y'all! I'm just going to order all of the tools and be done with it. I have a couple 2012 SHO motors to do anyway and this definitely won't be my last 1.8. jetdawg, are you referring to the long reach metric hex like in this photo or are these long-reach (6 point) star tips that are needed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex socket.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	487736  

+1
    It’s the regular hex 12mm across flats. Here’s the one I got from Amazon…GEARWRENCH 1/2" Drive Long Length Hex Bit Socket, 12mm - 82582

It’s actually about 120mm in length and works fine.

+1
    Yep you need that too I have full sets metric & SAE & nothing was king enough. Also bought every version I could find locally & none worked.

Amazon link below

GEARWRENCH 1/2" Drive Long Length Hex Bit Socket, 12mm - 82582 https://a.co/d/75NbAK3

Thanks for all of the replies. Bought all of the specialty tools from SBT and the 12mm hex from Amazon using y'alls advice. Problem is I didn't read far enough down in the service manual and ended up turning the 12mm hex head bolt "until it wouldn't turn any more" like the manual stated and ended up removing the entire transfer shaft using that 12mm inlieu of stopping and using the splined tool to finish up. Nothing broke but sure gave me some moments of terror when those loud SNAPS came out of the assembly on the way out. The manual just states "until it can no longer be turned" but I guess I proved it can continue to be turned until it breaks the transfer shaft itself free when you go past a certain point. Looking back at the video I took of me struggling with it it appears that it takes between 4 and 5 full counterclockwise rotations of that 12mm special bolt inside before it tightened up again causing me to throw the breaker bar on again. That is where I should have stopped and switched to the next specialty tool with the splines I'm sure. Oopsie. Lesson learned for the next one and hopefully this thread will help someone else when they search for tips in the future.

Thread Information