Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pascoea View Post
    So that video is a little deceptive... I'm really not giving it a good spin, just trying to illustrate the lack of noise. If I give it a good spin it'll go 3 of 4 rotations before it slows down. I couldn't detect any sort of growl, rumble, chunky, or clunky in it. Those are the technical terms, right?

I got a dial gauge and mount, measured .002" radial deflection ("up and down", in case I don't have my terms right) and .012" axially. I didn't to the math, because it makes my brain hurt, but the "rule of thumb" I found is the axial should be around 5-10x radial.

Given the lack of noise, reasonable measurements, and no visible rust anywhere I think I'm just going to run it. I certainly appreciate your opinion. Guess we'll find out this spring if my bearing analysis "techniques" are sound, lol.
    It's your choice of course. These engines spin uo to around 8k RPM, you'll find out pretty quick if the bearings are bad.

The problem is, when the crank bearings fail, they take other good parts with them. Usually piston and head damage. With a Pro, you might damage the exhaust valves too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    It's your choice of course. These engines spin uo to around 8k RPM, you'll find out pretty quick if the bearings are bad.

The problem is, when the crank bearings fail, they take other good parts with them. Usually piston and head damage. With a Pro, you might damage the exhaust valves too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIBELLA View Post
    Send the crank to Crank Works and get it rebuilt. Time is money. Putting that motor back together with new gaskets just to have the crank go bad. Not worth it. You can email them to get a price
    Alright, you guys convinced me. You're gonna get me in trouble with my wife, I hope you know that.

Would you trust any old crankshaft guy/gal, or are the ones with 785 experience the only people to trust? I'd like to keep it local (Minneapolis) if I can. [edit] This isn't just my usual cheap-ness. For something like this I just more comforting to know I can go talk to them if there's an issue.

You guys (as always) rock.
    Last edited by pascoea; 09-17-2022 at 10:20 AM.

+1
    Remember, when it comes to the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Any good 2 stroke crankshaft repair facility should have the tools and knowledge to do the job. If you have one local that you trust, take it to them and let them look at it for you. Who knows, they may say it's fine?

If you don't have a local place, I would look into Crankworks, or there is another place called Midwest crankshaft in WI. There may be others, but those are the only 2 I can think of right now.

Don't let anyone install Chinese bearings if at all possible. They just don't hold up well. If you need connecting rods replaced, SBT does make replacements that seem to work well from what I've read.

+1
    Hey Adam, Bill Bune Enterprises in Anoka should be able to do your crank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz View Post
    Hey Adam, Bill Bune Enterprises in Anoka should be able to do your crank.
    Ha, I literally just dropped it off there an hour ago. Fingers crossed, guy's initial impression was that everything on the crank was ship-shape. (Well, crank-shape)

Also seems to be a good source for 2A "stuff", if that's your bag.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pascoea View Post
    Ha, I literally just dropped it off there an hour ago. Fingers crossed, guy's initial impression was that everything on the crank was ship-shape. (Well, crank-shape)

Also seems to be a good source for 2A "stuff", if that's your bag.
    I'm guessing you'll have better piece of mind knowing that it has fresh bearings in it. I know that Josh (of Bill Bune) is pretty popular in the Polaris snow scene, and if I'm not mistaken, Harleys, too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz View Post
    I'm guessing you'll have better piece of mind knowing that it has fresh bearings in it. I know that Josh (of Bill Bune) is pretty popular in the Polaris snow scene, and if I'm not mistaken, Harleys, too.
    Still hoping he tells me it's all good, and I don't have to spend a house payment on crank bearings. Either way, yeah. Peace of mind of having a professional tell me what's up. I was just happy to find someone local that knows what they are doing.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Figured I'd throw it out there, see if anyone can help.

I'm looking for a core for an MFD. Trying to find a dead one that I can use as a donor, I cracked mine while trying to get the display working. Anyone have one in their parts bin they'd want to sell?

Thanks all

+1
    Pretty sure the 785 uses the fast MFD trim gauge as opposed to the regular "slow" one. Going to be difficult to find if that is correct.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Pretty sure the 785 uses the fast MFD trim gauge as opposed to the regular "slow" one. Going to be difficult to find if that is correct.
    I believe you are correct, the 785 uses the "fast trim". But it's my understanding is that the LCD itself is the same, the guts (more likely the firmware on the guts) is different. Either way, I think my intent is to buy one of the fancy oLED retrofits, but they need a core to transplant the upgrade into. And I'm a dummy and cracked mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information