Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Triton Crossmember Question

On double Triton Elite models, the center frame rail stabs into the rear crossmember and penetrates approximately an inch. This provides a nice flange surface for welding onto the larger rear crossmember. This crossmember is wet as is the center rail. It has several drain holes as well.

My question is regarding the front crossmember. Is it wet? It certainly would be if the center rail stabs into it like the rear, or does the center rail simply pass through the front crossmember? I am adding keel guards to the front crossmember like the ones on the rear and need to know if I need to take steps to keep water from entering the front crossmember.

+1
    Always assume that water will get in because it will.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I no longer own my 2008 single axle Triton double Elite. During the time I had it I do not recall having any issue with the center cross beam.

I currently have a 2017 WC2-2 double bunk, double axle Triton trailer which has had significant structural modifications. The modifications included changes nearby the center cross beam where it meets the side frame, but the factory welds for the cross beam were not cut or re-welded.

A few weeks back I noticed water dripping from the welds where the center cross beam meets the 3x3 side rail. The welds had cracked along the bottom and water was weeping out. Apparently the center cross beam was ‘intended’ to be hermetically welded/sealed and therefore stay dry inside. The cracks allowed water to get inside that cross beam, and it could only seep out slowly.

This trailer has travelled somewhere around 10,000 miles so far. The cracks were annoying but not a big deal. Local welder repaired the welds literally this morning and I expect no further trouble in that regard. I will more carefully eyeball every other weld seam on the trailer in the near future and periodically thereafter.

Regardless of whether your single axle double Triton center beam is currently entirely sealed, my inclination would be to add finger size drain holes to the bottom face, a few inches inboard from each end of the cross beam. Then you can drill holes and install whatever and not worry about trying to make it watertight.

Is there any other frame section on a Triton double trailer that does not come from the factory with several openings to allow water in and out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12FE36E2-39BE-44F6-AD9C-78411BCDF3BB.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	487048  

+1
    This is on my 21 WC2-2. I always assumed that the center frame rail was cut and stabbed into the forward crossmember. If that was the case, water would run up the center rail and dump into the crossmember which is slightly larger than the center rail. This would basically trap some water in the crossmember. Since there are no drain holes in the crossmember, the center rail must pass as one piece through a square milled into the crossmember. That would make the crossmember sealed and explain why there are no drain holes.

I have already drilled the holes for the rivets, now do I need to drill some drain holes in the front crossmember like the rear???

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

This trailer has travelled somewhere around 10,000 miles so far.
    WOW!!! Something to be said about (preventative) maintenance!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    This is on my 21 WC2-2. I always assumed that the center frame rail was cut and stabbed into the forward crossmember. If that was the case, water would run up the center rail and dump into the crossmember which is slightly larger than the center rail. This would basically trap some water in the crossmember.

Since there are no drain holes in the crossmember, the center rail must pass as one piece through a square milled into the crossmember. That would make the crossmember sealed and explain why there are no drain holes.

I have already drilled the holes for the rivets, now do I need to drill some drain holes in the front crossmember like the rear???
    when launching on a sloped ramp the air trapped in the forward/upper region of the closed trailer beams will prevent/limit water from ‘running up’ into the cross beam. The trapped air will compress slightly and then suppress the water level inside from further upwards travel.

… Regardless of whether your single axle double Triton center beam is currently entirely sealed, my inclination would be to add finger size drain holes to the bottom face, a few inches inboard from each end of the cross beam.

Then you can drill holes and install whatever and not worry about trying to make it watertight. …

+1
    when launching on a sloped ramp the air trapped in the forward/upper region of the closed trailer beams will prevent/limit water from ‘running up’ into the cross beam. The trapped air will compress slightly and then suppress the water level inside from further upwards travel.
    All the rails open at the tongue and fill immediately to the water level of the ramp. The only part of the trailer that appears to be sealed is the forward of the two crossmembers. That is the one that I have added keel protection to. Just trying to get opinions on putting drain holes on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    Just trying to get opinions on putting drain holes on it.
    Think of them as flush holes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Think of them as flush holes.
    I guess, LOL.
    Freaking aluminum is so brittle, I was trying to avoid any holes of much size, although the rear crossmember is milled and drilled at numerous locations.

If, I were starting over, I would most likely glue to pads in place. I made the mistake of thinking the center rail was in two pieces and stabbed into the crossmember like the rear.

I put RTV under the pad, around the rivet stem, and under the rivet cap. Submerged the trailer today and had no bubbles for what that's worth.

+1
    I know you are dealing with a double, but ever see a single place Triton float when there is no ski on it? Maybe Triton wants them to fill with water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information