95 SPI start issue

in the process of restoring an spi. I rebuilt the fuel system and used some premix to start the thing this morning. It started and ran good. I put regular fuel in it and put oil in the tank and it wouldn't do anything when hitting the start button. I checked my battery and connections and it all checked out good,
    Can someone tell me where I should start on my trouble shooting journey? Thanks in advance!

Providing you can rotate the motor by turning the PTO flywheel under the gray cover, I'd check that there are no blown fuses, your battery leads are in good shape and not corroded, then move the starter solenoid. I believe it's inside the gray electrical box on that model. You should be getting 12v across the battery wire posts. I'd use the old screwdriver method across the posts to see if the starter motor works. If so, that's good, you might just need a new solenoid, easy! If not, it could be a frozen starter motor. Those are a bummer to replace because there conveniently located underneath the engine. Good luck!

no fuel old XP

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimenal View Post
    in the process of restoring an spi. I rebuilt the fuel system and used some premix to start the thing this morning. It started and ran good. I put regular fuel in it and put oil in the tank and it wouldn't do anything when hitting the start button. I checked my battery and connections and it all checked out good,
    Can someone tell me where I should start on my trouble shooting journey? Thanks in advance!
    I'm having the same issue with a 93 XP. Runs on premix poured in carbs, i also cleaned & rebuilt fuel pump carb and other carb, engine pulse can be verified by removing pulse hose to carb, i can feel the pulse in the fuel system by feeling pulse coming out of fuel hull vents. If I remove from carb and blow in return line i can advance fuel in lines so i feel the fuel pick up in tank is ok...

I'm stuck also....

UPDATE: Ski now started in garage, will have to take to lake for test but..... So i unhooked the fuel return line from the carb, precharged fuel system by blowing into line long n strong, then reconnected quickly to not let pressure escape to much, then cranked over using full choke, had to crank for 10-15 seconds but it eventually caught and now runs on fuel tank gas.
    Good luck, please report back with what you did....
    Thanks Mike
    Last edited by Skraw910; 08-19-2022 at 02:36 PM. Reason: update

Thread Information