Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil leak 07 GTI SE, not the PTO bearing, cracked block?

I cant locate this oil leak, it appears to be underneath the block. I did the PTO bearing and driveline assuming that would fix the leak but no cigar. After further discussion guy said he never winterized it, just gassed the water out and parked it outside. If the blocks cracked im just going to rip into it for spare parts as he wants the ski to disappear if it cant be fixed. Its a shame I did a wearing and solas on it too.

Check oil cooler under the intake manifold may have corroded where the orings sit against the engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by pwcnerd View Post
    Check oil cooler under the intake manifold may have corroded where the orings sit against the engine block.
    I figured there'd be milky oil if it was a problem with the oil cooler. The oil and coolant aren't contaminated, just the oil leaks into the hull. I can't get my hands down the side of the hull to check, do I need to remove intake manifold to access it?

+1
    It can be your stator cover gasket. The seal for the block's 2 halves. Did you use an Oetiker clamp for the bearing boot? It can also be coming from the weeping hole leaking oil seal in the mechanical rotary oil seal. There is also an oil seal in the PTO shaft..

This would be a external leak on the oil cooler at the interface between the oil cooler and the engine block it would not mix with coolant as that would be an internal leak
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckitRalphed View Post
    I figured there'd be milky oil if it was a problem with the oil cooler. The oil and coolant aren't contaminated, just the oil leaks into the hull. I can't get my hands down the side of the hull to check, do I need to remove intake manifold to access it?

Its the oil cooler, is it just O-Rings I need to replace or should I replace the unit

Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    It can be your stator cover gasket. The seal for the block's 2 halves. Did you use an Oetiker clamp for the bearing boot? It can also be coming from the weeping hole leaking oil seal in the mechanical rotary oil seal. There is also an oil seal in the PTO shaft..
    At that point chasing the dragon and pulling the engine I'd just rip it for parts, but it's the oil cooler so i'll fix it up. The boot I ordered came with an Oetiker on the bearing and stainless hose clamp to attach it to the block. It's not leaking from the PTO it is definitely the oil cooler now that I was able to get my hand behind the intake manifold.

Remove the intake manifold and pull the oil cooler off the motor leave the hoses attached just take the 4 bolts out and inspect where the orings rest against the oil cooler the surface should be nice and smooth with no imperfections always confirm with you eyes the damage reaching blindly without confirming the issue can lead to more headaches and embarrassment. Be prepared it spill a fair amount of oil when you remove the oil cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckitRalphed View Post
    At that point chasing the dragon and pulling the engine I'd just rip it for parts, but it's the oil cooler so i'll fix it up. The boot I ordered came with an Oetiker on the bearing and stainless hose clamp to attach it to the block. It's not leaking from the PTO it is definitely the oil cooler now that I was able to get my hand behind the intake manifold.

+1
    Keep us posted. Good luck.

The oil cooler looks shot, taking it off now. Need to go buy a new bit ratchet I cant get a wrench on those bottom bolts and fiberglass blocks all my ratchets even after loosening the motor mount. Will keep you guys updated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E57A147-676E-453D-B489-15AAE2005A5A.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	487029  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information