Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Finally rebuilt (300 conversion) and.... Knocking? Need Help Won't Start

Hey guys ever since my supercharger went in my 255 I rebuilt it and had the PTO housing machined for the 300 hp super charger. After putting it back together it won't start... All I hear is a loud clanking noise that sounds horrible. I am use to hearing it rough as it starts normally but nothing like this and it won't start.

While I had the head off I machined the head as it was a little bit uneven granted this is at the max limit or even slightly past the max limit for machining the head. I also swapped out the Cam Shaft for a performance cam.

Would anyone be able to help me diagnose what to do now. Frankenstein is fully built but has 1 gremlin left. I am curious if timing is off by 1 notch will it not start and will I get this knocking noise? Would the head being machined that much cause this? Shit cam?

Please help been dieing to ride this thing been a 5 week rebuild as I was waiting for parts and what not.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6QD7Qi_Pbjs
    Last edited by taserz; 08-13-2022 at 07:22 PM.

+1
    Ouch! You sure that's not valves hitting the pistons.....timed off the front cylinder instead of the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Ouch! You sure that's not valves hitting the pistons.....timed off the front cylinder instead of the rear?
    I was fairly confident I had the teeth lined up straight and I had Cyl 3 locked TDC.

Cyl 3 being the one closest to the handle bars right... now I am questioning it all

Also if it's valves hitting piston would damage be done if it never actually ran just tried to... (for some time)

+1
    I would pull the engine and try, try again..

What should I be trying again though

If it's just timing on the gear I can find TDC again and lock crank again without pulling the head. Then I assume I would take rocker arms off get camshaft locked put timing gear on again and double check it's straight then redo rocker arms.

But if your suggesting I go further what should I be doing?

+1
    Yes, #3 is forward. Bring it around to TDC again and look at the cam sprocket, do the horizontal lines match up with the head casting surface?

7. +1 by:

Thanks guys I think my cam shaft wasn't TDC when I locked the wheel on or something during the rocker install like I didn't have the pin all the way down...

So... It now sounds great as it attempts to run...

It doesn't start. I smell gas coming out the exhaust after trying for a while. Fuel pressure rail shows close to 80 so I know it's got fuel.

I do have a bad TOPS switch I ordered a new one. Would that be causing it not to start? I can't find it in the manual if it is unplugged or not working if it will start.

So close I can taste the victory but any help is appreciated

+1
    Do a compression check, make sure it's OK.
    Do you have spark?

Maybe it's flooded , hold wot and crank for 10 seconds . Then try a normal start and see what happens.

+1
    See what I posted earlier?? Oh sh..

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Do a compression check, make sure it's OK.
    Do you have spark?

Maybe it's flooded , hold wot and crank for 10 seconds . Then try a normal start and see what happens.
    I have compression about 110 psi on each cylinder when cranking with the gauge on it.

I pulled a spark plug and ran it outside the engine and I saw the spark plugs fire off. I also let it sit and tried what you said. Still no luck. Could it be too much gas it is new vt1100 injectors and a new tune but idk... this is confusing now

Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    See what I posted earlier?? Oh sh..
    You didn't say much. You said pull the motor and try again

Why would I pull the motor I didn't have to pull the motor when I did this work? Also try what specifically again? I didn't make any big changes. I replaced the supercharger for a different one which is straight forward. PTO housing is just unbolt and re-bolt (Had to get it machined to fit new charger) nothing too crazy there either. I now know the engine was not timed so I fixed that. It sounds great as it tries to start but I am stumped what would pulling the motor do if I don't know what to check.

Don't get me wrong if I have to pull everything out to check the motor I will but that's a lot of time to do that so rather do that last. Also I don't have the ability to pull it from the ski so I have to work on it in the ski. (PTO was a bitch to do but found the trick is to loosen starboard side engine mount lift motor and jamed a block of wood under it to make those bottom bolts doable

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information