Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Exhaust Noise Getting Loud on stock FX Cruiser HO

My wife started complaining about the noise on her FX Cruiser HO. So I rode on the back and I agree, it is getting really loud when you are on the back seat. Plus I feel some vibration at low speed, so I suspect the vibration is resonance in the engine bay. It is 5+ years old and over 200 hours but it runs great and still goes ~65 mph. I did all the maintenance, including the shaft bearing lube. The rear shaft bearing looks perfect (haven't looked at the mid shaft bearing but I did lube it). The impeller has a few rough spots on the edges. It has never been in salt water.

So what is the likelihood that the water/baffle box is worn out and the baffles are shot? Does that happen and what are the symptoms?

I know boring topic; my wife wants less noise
    Last edited by bizeagle; 08-12-2022 at 04:45 PM.

+1
    That can indeed happen just sitting, as water typically remain in the waterbox.
    That said, what about the condition of the jet-pump tunnel skirt (oem rubber shroud flap), or the rubber "fingers" at the exhaust port exit ... if there one day, yet missing the next, can be quite noticeable change.
    If those are unchanged (or been gone already), then yeah, it's not too hard to pull the top hose off the water box and may get a flashlight look inside.

+1
    Good tips, Thanks I will check those out

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Start by inspecting the spacing/clearance between the rubber exhaust components and the upper hull. Sometimes these can shift and get close enough to contact the hull when the engine is running. It can really increase the felt vibration and sound level when they contact the inside of the upper/rear deck material.

On at least one of my GP1800 the fix was to rotate the waterbox a few degrees so the top fitting was further inboard. That shifted all the rubber parts a few mm inboard, away from the left inner deck wall.

On GP1800 there is also a white styrofoam part that ‘supports’ the exhaust resonator. It can shift forward and the resonator can be sitting loosely above and then vibrate against the styrofoam when the engine runs.

+1
    I'll also add, pull the jet pump and verify smooth bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    That can indeed happen just sitting, as water typically remain in the waterbox.
    That said, what about the condition of the jet-pump tunnel skirt (oem rubber shroud flap), or the rubber "fingers" at the exhaust port exit ... if there one day, yet missing the next, can be quite noticeable change.
    If those are unchanged (or been gone already), then yeah, it's not too hard to pull the top hose off the water box and may get a flashlight look inside.
    Here is what the fingers look like. I assume these are supposed to close up when the motor is off but it appears these stand open, the fingers closest to the transom stand open the most.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC Exhaust1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	486905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC Exhaust2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	486904  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I'll also add, pull the jet pump and verify smooth bearings.
    I just pulled the pump cone to replace the grease. The rear bearing looked perfect, still full of clean looking grease. Cleaned out the cone and replaced it with Yamaha blue bearing grease & new O ring. I would have to pull the impeller shaft to look at other rear bearing, is that what you are suggesting?

+1
    No, just unbolt the pump and pop it out. I do it anytime somebody hears a "noise" or feels vibration cause it's super quick. Then you can physically grab the impeller and turn it by hand to FEEL the condition of the pump bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    No, just unbolt the pump and pop it out. I do it anytime somebody hears a "noise" or feels vibration cause it's super quick. Then you can physically grab the impeller and turn it by hand to FEEL the condition of the pump bearings.
    OK, I have to reseal the pump facing with some kind of sealant before I put it back together, right?
    (the diagrams look straight forward but I have never taken the pump out before, so I want to do it right)

+1
    NOPE,......there is a small lip machined into the parts, they are just a nice tight fit. VERY frustrating tight fit if it's been in saltwater!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information