+1

Installing Bunk Slides on a PWC Trailer

Marine slides also known as bunk slides can be a great improvement to a personal watercraft trailer, or any marine trailer. The purpose of bunk slides is to not only protect the hull of the vessel but also aid in removing the ski from the trailer no matter if unloading in the water or sliding your PWC off the trailer and onto a shop cart. These slides make unloading and loading a PWC easier.

Read the whole story at The Watercraft Journal HERE:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-1-600x226.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	486816  

any recommendations on brand(s) of slides?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline9 View Post
    The article does not touch on why one might not want to use slides on their bunks. Nor on the alternatives to reduce bunk friction against the hull.

Bunk slides are made from fairly hard plastic material, probably harder than the paint finish layer on a Yamaha hull. I experimented with hard plastic slides years ago. When I later discovered the red hull surface material (not a Yamaha hull) was abrading onto the bunks I removed the bunk slides.

I now use spray-on bunk lubricant applied to the bunk carpet. CRC Liquid Rollers is kinda pricey but I appreciated the reduced bunk friction. I recently changed to using Slydz-On product, sold by Caliber. So far, it seems to work well enough.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline9 View Post

We used Caliber brand slides. Most quality bunk slides are NOT hard but should be rather soft plastic. (If you cannot dig or deeply scratch the plastic with your thumbnail, they're too hard.)

A spray lubricant is a great suggestion, and is highly recommended if not running slides and just bare carpet as carpet can cause friction burns on the hull's surface if launching/loading too quickly/aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    We used Caliber brand slides. Most quality bunk slides are NOT hard but should be rather soft plastic. (If you cannot dig or deeply scratch the plastic with your thumbnail, they're too hard.)

A spray lubricant is a great suggestion, and is highly recommended if not running slides and just bare carpet as carpet can cause friction burns on the hull's surface if launching/loading too quickly/aggressively.
    Awesome, thank you! As my trailer is only 4 months old, I'll try the liquid roller spray first, and when the carpet wears, I'll go slides.

Thread Information