People stealing drain plugs

We have 2 FX SVHO Cruisers that we leave on drive up PWC docks. My son called me and told me his skin died all of a sudden. I had to tow him back in and found that the ski was filled with water. We pulled it up on the dock and, no left sided drain plug. We have never touched them, never opened them. The dealer said that the Yamaha plugs won't just fall out, even if left open. He said that mine was the 7th ski this year that the same thing happened; kept on a dock and, suddenly a missing plug and a filled ski. Maybe just kids screwing with people?

Hoping I can get it up and running again without having to take it to the dealer. It cranks but won't start. Pulled the plugs and didn'tsee any moisture when starting. Didn't see any water in oil. Dealer told me to try new plugs. Keepingmy fingers crossed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How far up the engine did the water get?

If there is water trapped inside the engine air intake it must be drained out. Open the engine air intake (air filter) box for starters. If the air filter is water damaged it should be replaced.

You may need to drain the rubber J-tube that connects the intercooler to the throttle body. This is down low on right side of engine, rather hard to access.

After draining the air intake path, remove spark plugs and crank engine. If you see water mist or liquid spurting up from the plug holes then there may still be more water trapped somewhere inside. Do not re-install the spark plugs until you can crank the engine and very little to no significant water mist is expelled from the open spark plug holes.

Dry the rubber plug caps (ignition coil boots) and dry the plug wells before reassembling with fresh spark plugs.

Strange thing to happen, must be just in your area. Always check the plugs though for good measure every ride.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    … Always check the plugs though for good measure every ride.
    Mostly observed in the breach, the owners manual does advise a number of best practices prior to every ride. And this forum has threads for a bunch more.

Lifting the seat, inspecting the engine bay visually, and sniffing the hull air for gasoline fumes, are examples.

We trailer launch for every ride, and checking the drain plugs is something we both try to remember, and cross check, during the pre-launch preparations. Each of us checks the other’s work. And every so often one or the other has missed something that might matter.

Almost forgot to undo the rear transom straps a few weeks ago - oops. The co-rider noticed and corrected the error.

Similar procedure when loading the trailer, prior to departing the ramp area. Cross check the trailer, the skis, check for loose items. And check that the trailer has not been messed with while we were out riding.

My drain plugs fell out while driving down the highway one time. They can be a little flimsy and the plastic retainers could break down. But I noticed you said that your skis live on docks. Must be someone playing tricks on you. One suggestion I have is that you could do what they do with aircraft - when you put the ski away for the day, attach some sort of flourescent strap to the plugs so that you remember to attach them next time.

Honestly this isn't the first time I've heard of someone forgetting to check their drain plugs so don't feel bad about it.

+1
    I've had fishermen throw rocks at me while riding. Maybe you've got one that's pissed off at you.

My drain plugs on all my wave runners never came out "easy" always resistance. When o-ring hangs up can be a real PIA. Someone removed your plugs they didn't fall out......

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I've had fishermen throw rocks at me while riding. Maybe you've got one that's pissed off at you.
    Thats when you get about 10 feet from them and do a hard u-turn at full throttle give the little fks a bath.

+1
    I agree with steve45 - got to be a PWC-hater.
    You might need a locked gas-cap next.

Thread Information