Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

SVHO Engine Failure

New to the Yamaha family and coming from owning Seadoo the last 15 years or so. Just picked up a new 22 FX cruiser and added the Yes 5 year warranty. Looking to do some light mods starting with map tuner but knowing myself, I will probably eventually go to stage 2+.

Been reading through the forums and see that common issues with svho’s are heads cracking and the ribbon coming loose. I am interested to know the following for those who have had a failure on their SVHO’s:

1. Root Cause of Failure:
    2. Did it have Warranty and was it covered:
    3. What mods where installed on the ski at the time:

Yamaha is usually pretty good about going the extra mile to help customers however they are not required to I have attached the section of the owners manual that you need to see regarding your question about warranty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220807-085900.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	486744

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pwcnerd View Post
    Yamaha is usually pretty good about going the extra mile to help customers however they are not required to I have attached the section of the owners manual that you need to see regarding your question about warranty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220807-085900.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	486744
    Thanks, this is good info. Haven’t gone through the complete owners manual just yet.

The common denominator I see with most head failures/engine failure is a tune above stock. Rarely I will hear of a stock engine failure but they do occur.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    New to the Yamaha family and coming from owning Seadoo the last 15 years or so. Just picked up a new 22 FX cruiser and added the Yes 5 year warranty. Looking to do some light mods starting with map tuner but knowing myself, I will probably eventually go to stage 2+.

Been reading through the forums and see that common issues with svho’s are heads cracking and the ribbon coming loose. I am interested to know the following for those who have had a failure on their SVHO’s:

You have the new redesigned head on your ski . They made revisions to help prevent cracking.
    Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

Yamaha corrected the head cracking issue in 2021

8. +1 by:

does anyone have picture of the changes on the 2021 heads? This rumor starts every year something been changed be in the end never seams to come to fruition.

+1
    No need to rely on rumors... let the numbers speak for themselves :

2020 ==> 6ET-W009A-01-94
    2021+ ==> 6ET-W009A-20-94

Here's a quote from "Understanding the structure of Yamaha Part Numbers" :

The next two digits are the Design Code and Design Change digits.
    The 9th & 10th digits {from left-to-right} of the part number indicate differences, corrections, or modifications to the original part number. This position indicates variations that may exist within a specific item. The tenth digit of the part number indicated the number of times the design of the part has been changed.

So referencing our part in-question, we do see a new Design Code, indicating a new variation, and the zero indicating this is the initial one.

And, no, the fiche diagrams show nothing different - no surprise, they are rarely accurate anyways. So we'd need some actual photos - if anyone has any??

11. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the replies, great info and learning lots about the SVHO's. I would still be interested in what failures have occurred even if prior year than the 22's. I haven't even gotten my maptuner yet and already have retainers in the cart about to add that lol. My goal is to have a decently reliable sub 80 mph ski for 5 years and then will probably end up putting a turbo on it.

From what I have gathered, Supercharger clutches are not covered by warranty at all and are treated as a wear item correct?

Your dreaming a reliable ski for 5 years at 80mph. These are not Toyota's, they are fragile toys. Run to failure replace, they are disposable.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information