Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    I'm not exactly sure what your starter drive (Bendix) problem is. Just be aware that if it is not fully engaging or grinding,any loose metal particles will be drawn to the flywheel magnets. The clearance between the magnets and the stator lamination is close enough where the particles could grind up the face of the magnets.

I purchased a project a few years back where this happened. The EMM had an issue where it was failing to start or keep running. The owner (a salesman) kept on trying to start it, with the starter drive engaging a spinning flywheel. The teeth chipped off. Here was the result:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0213.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	486806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0214.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	486807  

+1
    I had thought of that, but this is more of a "weak" Bendix problem, where it either fully engages momentarily and releases like the engine started, or doesn't engage at all. I'd say 1 out of 8 times, it engages long enough to start the engine.

+1
    Well, I've verified that the regulator has been reinforced, so I'm going to take it out for a light run tomorrow. I've got an infrared thermometer to take with me and check things over after a few minutes, but I'm hoping all goes well.

I know sellers are about as honest as they need to be to sell something, but he hasn't lied yet, that I know of. The Autolites I pulled out did indeed look newer, with no rust, and it didn't start. Just happened to be a dead battery and not solenoid or start switch. Hopefully he was being truthful about it being run up until the 4th this year, when it would no longer start, and there really aren't any major problems.

I did also get the title from him.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz View Post
    I did also get the title from him.
    Glad to hear it. Maybe your bride will let you off the couch tonight.

+1
    We got it out on the water today, and it runs great. I think I need to send the impeller in because it hit 6900 or 7000 RPM a few times. Of course the speedometer wheel appears to not work on this one as well, so I can't tell you a top speed, but it was quick.

One thing I noticed is that it is very bow heavy. I know the 2003's have more weight up there than 2004's, but I didn't think I'd be submerging the hood so often.

My wife even enjoyed it, but she wants her Virage before too long.

+1
    Why do you think the impeller needs service? 6900 -7000 is what my 140 does normally.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

One thing I noticed is that it is very bow heavy. I know the 2003's have more weight up there than 2004's, but I didn't think I'd be submerging the hood so often. ...
    The ‘2004’ MSX ride plate has more bottom angle. Which lifts the bow a bit more when on plane.

+1
    One thing I noticed is that it is very bow heavy. I know the 2003's have more weight up there than 2004's, but I didn't think I'd be submerging the hood so often.
    How much cargo do you have in the front storage compartment? I don't notice that all on my 2004s. I only made one short test ride with my 2003 and I don't recall an issue with that. I did notice it and, later, my 2004s list to one side when still or idling about.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    How much cargo do you have in the front storage compartment? I don't notice that all on my 2004s. I only made one short test ride with my 2003 and I don't recall an issue with that. I did notice it and, later, my 2004s list to one side when still or idling about.
    There was only a smaller dry bag with my flip flops and t shirt, as well as a small towel. I would say less than 5 pounds of weight added. The fuel tank was full, though.

I should say that this is when idling or coming off plane.

+1
    My 2003 doesn't do that, however with a passenger it will list to one side. I just blame that on an imbalanced passenger (the wife!).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information