Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quick question on TDC as it relates to the crankshaft. Are their timing marks on the crankshaft to help identify TDC on the compression stroke as opposed to TDC on the exhaust stroke? The service manual really does not touch on the crankshaft as it pertains to timing, only rotate cylinder #1 to TDC.

I currently have the crank TDC on the compression stroke of cylinder #1. Camshafts timing marks all line up nicely. I will be removing the camshafts in the next couple days and rotating the crank for compression and leak down tests. Concerned that I will not be able to find TDC on the compression stroke without the cam timing to assist. Does crank stroke position (compression vs exhaust) matter for timing on this engine?

Rounded off 4 camshaft cap bolts on the exhaust camshaft tonight. Super amazing! So much for 16 N*m of torque...

+1
    The cams themselves are the only thing that dictates what stroke it's on.

The number 1 & 4 piston go up & down together. & 2 & 3.

You spin the crank till number 1 is dead top center & align timing marks on cams. The cams move 1/2 the speed of the crank. So it takes 2 rotations of crank to get back to timing marks.

That is exactly what I was thinking; however, I wanted to make 100% sure. Now, if only these dang cam cap bolts would come out. Been down with Covid, so pick things back up this weekend if feeling better. Thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge!

+1
    Yep. With these motors a set of 6" calipers will reach down the spark plug hole to the piston... so you can dial in too dead... watch the measurement slowly get less & less... then starts growing again.. so then go back & forth till you get it at the highest point possible/ smallest measurement... stop touching crank. Pull chain tight from exhaust side. Shove in guild. ( you can put in in from too alone behind clutch... across exhaust cam, tight to intake cam.. the put tension on it.

Quick question on Riva adjustable cam gears. After bringing #1 TDC, should the factory cam timing marks align perfectly with the factory cap timing marks or will these now be adjusted according to color of Riva bushing?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220730_163742.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	486995

+1
    Sorry can't help you there. Never messed with adjustable
    cam gears here.

No problem! Appreciate you sharing. Also read your entire FZR turbo post. WOW!!! Depending on how extensive the damages are to my engine, I might be looking at going fully forged engine with turbo setup.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information