Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Stock acid battery is terrible. Mine only lasted a year on my 19 GP.
    My 22 Yamaha came with a sealed battery

Quote Originally Posted by Scorn1800 View Post
    Stock acid battery is terrible. Mine only lasted a year on my 19 GP.
    My 22 Yamaha came with a sealed battery
    Sorry for the newb question, but how can I tell the difference? Are sealed ok/better than acid battery? Mine's new, but just trying to learn for when a replacement is needed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline9 View Post
    Sorry for the newb question, but how can I tell the difference? Are sealed ok/better than acid battery? Mine's new, but just trying to learn for when a replacement is needed.
    A sealed battery can last u 4-5 years If you keep it on a trickle charger during lathe off season. My last battery lasted me 4 years.

+1
    Standard acid battery has removable top strip where you pour the acid in.
    Sealed battery cannot be opened

So this is the battery that came with the GP and lasted less than a year. I have never removed my battery’s in the off-season on any toys (motorcycles, sleds, other PWCs) and they all have always lasted at a minimum 4 years, no maintenance, trickle charging, issues at all. Try to do better with my GP, leave It in a closet at 65 degrees all winter, trickle charge to full before the first time out. 3rd ride it’s dead!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2289F4A4-BDB6-46D8-854E-7B4335249CD2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	485035  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kern View Post
    … I have never removed my battery’s in the off-season on any toys (motorcycles, sleds, other PWCs) … no maintenance

trickle charging … before the first time out. …
    For traditional lead-acid powersports batteries, the manufacturer recommended off-season storage method is to not just leave the battery sitting.

Just sitting by itself, a fully charged lead-acid battery will experience self-discharge that can reduce the battery chemistry to a nearly fully discharged state in perhaps 2-4 months. A lead-acid battery that remains fully discharged will suffer internal degradation that reduces not only battery lifespan but also less starting power, less amp-hour capacity, and the battery overall becomes less reliable.

Long term battery storage without any compensation for self-discharge is a form of battery abuse. The battery warranty (if the warranty is long enough duration) probably excludes storage while discharged.

Specific’s might vary by battery brand, but in general the manufacturer will recommend either periodic recharging (every month or so) during storage or leaving the lead-acid battery connected to a battery maintainer that will provide the battery with a proper float voltage.

For Yamaha PWC that have a remote fob/security/lock feature, there is a radio receiver module inside the hull that requires constant power. That module slowly consumes battery power whenever the ski is parked with the battery connected. This draw is in addition to the inherent self-discharge of the lead-acid battery.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kern View Post
    So this is the battery that came with the GP and lasted less than a year. I have never removed my battery’s in the off-season on any toys (motorcycles, sleds, other PWCs) and they all have always lasted at a minimum 4 years, no maintenance, trickle charging, issues at all. Try to do better with my GP, leave It in a closet at 65 degrees all winter, trickle charge to full before the first time out. 3rd ride it’s dead!
    Eric:

Thank you for the picture...I'll check mine out tonight to see what I've got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information