Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Riva Tune Question - 2015 FZR with Fizzle Y1000, ribbon delete, Riva air intake

I have a 2015 FZR my OEM intercooler recently broke and I ordered a Fizzle Y1000. Just looking for some tune recommendations.

Current Mods

Riva power filter
    Ribbon Delete
    Y1000 Intercooler

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by K447; 05-19-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    With the Fizzle intercooler you have effectively a Stage 2 upgrade configuration.

So you would select a Stage 2 tune (Riva MaptunerX) to match the hardware upgrades. The Stage 2 tune will provide the correct fuel delivery to match the cooler and denser air flow into the engine.

Thanks for the reply, Would the stage 2 tune be safe even though I'm not running the retainer upgrade? Would a stage 1 Plus tune be safe for this set up?

+1
    Doesn’t a stage1+ require a new prop?

+1
    Pretty sure Jesus at riva can give you a custom tune if you use riva tunes. I’m sure someone will chime in with more experience on custom tune stuff

Yeah I guess I'm going to have to look into the custom tunes, does anyone know the turnaround time on a custom tune?

+1
    If you already have a riva tune. Pretty sure you can just email Jesus at riva and he will make one up for you and send you the file. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing. Would love to know the power gains of adding the Y1000 to a ski with your mods. Probably going to be the route I go plus a solas.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015FZR View Post
    … Would the stage 2 tune be safe even though I'm not running the retainer upgrade?

Would a stage 1 Plus tune be safe for this set up?
    The tune does not determine the maximum sustained engine RPM at WOT.
    The impeller does.

The tune is selected to match the hardware upgrades, so the engine combustion runs in a ‘safe’ ratio of fuel to air density. Since you added the Fizzle intercooler, the engine will now receive more air, and more dense air, than it did before the intercooler was upgraded. If the tune was NOT changed (or incorrectly selected) then there would be more air for the same amount of fuel, which means the combustion would occur in a more ‘lean’ condition.

The stage 2 tune increases the amount of fuel delivered, better matching the denser air delivered from the intercooler. So the engine is running in a ‘safe’ configuration regarding fuel to air ratio, but it is also making more power.

More power means the engine can twist harder into the impeller, potentially turning the impeller (and the engine) to higher RPM. How much higher? Well, that is determined by the pitch of the impeller blades. The steeper the blade angle the more power it takes to turn the impeller.

Typically you might select the aftermarket impeller (or adjust/bend the stock impeller blade angles) such that the engine turns, say, a couple of hundred RPM below the ECU rev limit setting (at full power).

And the ECU tune rev limit is set to be a little less than whatever RPM you want the engine to NOT mechanically exceed (such as when the hull bounces out of the water and unloads the jet pump with power applied).

For an SVHO engine without valve train upgrades, you probably want the impeller pitch to absorb enough engine power to hold RPM at full throttle to somewhere below 8600-8500. How far below will depend on what RPM you are comfortable allowing your SVHO engine to turn.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015FZR View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Would the stage 2 tune be safe even though I'm not running the retainer upgrade? Would a stage 1 Plus tune be safe for this set up?
    Yes! Run the MaptunerX stage 2 8700 tune. Anything below 8700 is safe for the stock valve train.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K7fxho View Post
    Doesn’t a stage1+ require a new prop?
    Absolutely! the Solas 13/20

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information