Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Yeah probably, only seen good things with the Y1000 that's why I went that route. I might just run the stock file and put the ribbon and stock intake back in. Read you don't need a tune to run the y1000. Not looking to have the fastest ski just don't want it to blow up haha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015FZR View Post
    Yeah probably, only seen good things with the Y1000 that's why I went that route. I might just run the stock file and put the ribbon and stock intake back in. Read you don't need a tune to run the y1000. Not looking to have the fastest ski just don't want it to blow up haha.
    for sure. The fizzle 500 is actually a good intercooler. It’s perfect for those replacing a stock one solely for the reason there’s broke and they just need a replacement. It’s not as good as the Y1000 Ofcourse, but it just show small gains and improvements over a stock svho intercooler. I notice most guys get the Y1000 because it’s hard to justify not getting one that will make more power for just another $250

You shouldn't have a problem running a y1000 with stock melody either, it could be lean but I don't think more than someone who uses the ski in cold climates for example.So what would happen to the guys who ride their skis on cold lakes in the winter months? Wouldn't those intake temps be cooler than using a y1000 in florida in the summer?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by noroeste View Post
    … uses the ski in cold climates … on cold lakes in the winter months … intake temps be cooler than using a y1000 in florida in the summer?
    What matters is the air density inside the intake manifold and inside the cylinders, relative to the fuel injected on each combustion cycle.

My understanding is that the ECU has a single temperature and pressure sensor (MAP sensor) inside the intake manifold. The ECU uses the sensor signals (along with throttle, RPM, etc) to look up how much fuel (duty cycle) to operate the fuel injector.

Aftermarket tunes are needed when the manifold air density (air temperature and pressure) combine with altered (non-factory) air flow (ribbon delete, upgraded intercooler) is so different from the fuelling (and ignition timing) maps inside the ECU that the factory tune cannot properly match the actual mechanical air flow into each cylinder with the calculated fuel delivery. The factory ECU ‘mapping’ becomes incorrect for the upgraded engine configuration.

During some comparative intercooler testing recently (posted on video) Greg G. mentioned that the SVHO fuel:air ratio become too lean for comfort with the Fizzle intercooler yet was within range with the Riva intercooler. Both tests were using the same tune.

It is the aggregate change in air temperature, air pressure/density, air flow into each cylinder that determines whether a given ECU tune (a factory or aftermarket) is ‘safe’ for the engine.

Example: Prior to 2018 (aluminum SVHO intake manifold) it was learned that simply removing the ribbon disc flame arrestor was enough change in air flow inside the intake manifold to run the middle two cylinders rather close to ‘lean’. So the Riva Stage 1+ tune adjusted the ECU fuelling maps to deliver incrementally more fuel to those middle two cylinders.

I'm talking about a stock tune where the ignition timing is very conservative and the afr quite rich. The density of the air is directly related to its temperature. Greg ran a stage 2 none of that looks like a stock tune. I would like to know any case of a stock engine broken with stock melody due to using a fizzle intercooler, do you know any?

I'm talking about a stock tune where the ignition timing is very conservative and the afr quite rich. The density of the air is directly related to its temperature. Greg ran a stage 2 none of that looks like a stock tune. I would like to know any case of a stock engine broken with stock melody due to using a fizzle intercooler, do you know any?
    I even go further, do you think a stock ski with a stock intercooler would be more reliable on a hot day when high intake temperatures (IAT) exceed 50°c and ignition delays start? A good intercooler would prevent that.

You worry too much haha! Just load the stage 2 tune with 8700 limit, throw the 13/20 in there, and send it. I have been running a much more aggressive stage 2 set up (9200 AGR tune) for 50 hours with no issues. These motors can handle a lot, your set up will still be safe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015FZR View Post
    Did you ever get out last weekend? how'd the ski run with the mods?
    Got the ski out today. Ran great. Stock with ribbon delete and stage1/stock cooling kit. Ran 67mph (candoo gps Speedo module) with a cooler on the front stuffed and a bag and 2 beach towels and also me and my gf. She’s about 140 and I’m 180. So I think pretty damn good. Can’t wait to tune it.

+1
    And a full tank of gas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K7fxho View Post
    My plan is to run the riva stage1+ kit with the fizzle Y1000 added on a 2016 fx svho.
    So I guess from what others are saying. I’ll run the stage2 tune with those mods.
    ribbon delete (installed currently)
    riva air intake
    13/20 prop
    Stock/stage1 cooling upgrade (installed currently)
    Fizzle Y1000
    riva tune (guessing stage 2 tune)
    I have a '16 FXCSVHO, most of the same parts as yours. I have the Fizzle Y1000, with a Dean's Tune. I run a 13/18, bent by Tommy Jordan. Mine runs 84 until it gets heat soaked, then runs about 81-82 (GPS). If the weather is cool, I'm bumping the rev limiter with the 13/18, so I need to get mine bent up to a 19 and try it. Dean set my limiter to 8650, my target RPM is 8500. When I get mine bent (not in a great big hurry...I'm currently deciding on whether I should sell my skis) I'll report my findings.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information