Thread: Stage 2 test

+1

Stage 2 test

So, after doing all my stage 2 mods this winter, I ran a few times so far this spring, on the lowest stage 2 tune. Today added stage 2 9200 AGR. Run at 84.3 top and was pretty repeatable. Had top rpm of 8660. This was on my old 13/20, so Ill be swapping in my 13/18 before the weekend to give it the rpms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A356AF3-FB21-4022-BBE4-7E30B0F77809.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	484401  

+1
    Nice! You will get more speed and better acceleration with the 13/18

+1
    I have the same set up but didn't do retainers yet. Turning 8500 getting 82mph. I am pretty mechanical but doing the retainers makes me nervous and don't have anyone I trust to do it

+1
    I have a Jims plate in the basement I haven't installed yet. Glad we are getting close results with the same 13/20 prop and set up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker1 View Post
    I have the same set up but didn't do retainers yet. Turning 8500 getting 82mph. I am pretty mechanical but doing the retainers makes me nervous and don't have anyone I trust to do it
    I was a diesel mech for many years so I had the confidence I could do it. It’s pretty straightforward so long as you MAKE CERTAIN to mark cam-to-chain, don’t let chain slip on crank, and don’t let engine turn!! Haha after that it’s a piece of cake! FYI, I did not follow this advice and I ended up needing to find TDC, which isn’t hard either. Just an extra step

I removed my head. The chain relative to the cam or crank sprocket is completely irrelevant. I tied a string to my chain and once the head removed I let it lay down in the timing cover had to get a little grabber to get the string lol. It just isn't that hard. 1) get the service manual. 2) set #1 piston on TDC before you take anything loose and understand how the timing marks look on the camshafts (this is key not chain indexing) vs the bearing caps. Take the plastic cover off the driveshaft and use a strap wrench to turn engine over to TDC. For some reason I had to take the PCM enclosure loose and lay to side to get to the drive shaft.

Note when reinstalling the camshaft use the tightening order in the service manual for bearing caps. This ensures you are not bending the camshaft when pushing valves open as you tighten the bearing caps. Note don't watch to much you tube most have no fling clue. Use the service manual. get egg crates to put you valve "buckets" in and keep the shims with them.

When reinstalling the timing chain on the sprockets put all the chain slack on the tensioner side or you won't get the tensioner back in. Also its a little PIA to get the tensioner to compress. Again its in the manual so read it about 5 times.

Once you understand how things work together its very simple, if you don't understand how it works than its monkey see monkey do. TDC very easy to find, remove #1 plug, insert long screwdriver that touches top of piston, insure combustion stroke (Both valves closed) , rotate engine when screwdriver stops going up your at TDC. again service manual service manual they are $15 for electronic copy

7. +1 by:

+1
    Wow, removing the head just to do retainers seems rather over the top, unless there was more being done. I suppose the cost of the tools to do the job with head still on might be part of the savings, but still…

No I removed the head to clean the anode passage which in the end was a waste of time. I agree removing the head requires $110 gasket and $140 in new head bolts. Truth be told I didn't measure any necking on the original deadbolts, probably should have reused...

+1
    Swapped in 13/18, ride today with choppy water so testing was tough. 86.7 mph at 8950 rpm and I couldn’t hold WOT more then a couple seconds with water conditions.

11. +1 by:

+1
    I swapped my Gen 2 Riva plate out with my OEM plate with Jim's cut and didn't care to much for it. It made 0 difference in speed and had a lot of bouncing at high speed. Put my Riva back on and happy with it. With my set up I'm running a solid 82mph at 8500rpm. PET Tach & GPS certified. Full tank, 75* water, 85* temp, trim up. I like speed but 82mph vs 86mph with retainers, I think I'm going to have to wait. If I could get to 92mph with a few more mods I would be all in but don't hear of anyone getting there. Thoughts?

Thread Information