Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I reinstalled everything with Permatex Orange - which is the Hybrid between Red and Medium. I've never had good success with Permatex Blue-Medium on these larger bolts.

I used a small amount of clear silicone for sealing everything together.

Soooooooo what improvements did you see with the new 160mm transom plate?

Quote Originally Posted by HardRider View Post
    Soooooooo what improvements did you see with the new 160mm transom plate?
    I have not noticed anything to be honest. If it pulls harder low to mid - I can't really tell. I'd say it performs about like it did before.

Appreciate the feedback!!!!

I am fighting cavitation during hard starts and hard turns. Yamaha should be ashamed a 56 year old can push their 100% stock SVHO powered ski's to limit effortlessly due to cavitation. I pretty confident it isn't ventilation as i can eliminate 98% of cavitation leaning over the handlebars under full throttle. So I ordered the Solas impeller and will install. I will see how much that changes cavitation, next will be the resealing the transom plate but again I doubt that it is the issue. In the end may have to go GP1800svho or Seadoo RXP 300 (it carves like a scalpel to the point i will get nauseous ). My VXR and FXHO never ever caviatated under any conditions. Truth be told the VXR could go through a turn faster than the FX SVHO since the FX SVHO just blows out in turns and cavitates. I really need to start test driving these things before i buy

I am fighting cavitation during hard starts and hard turns. Yamaha should be ashamed a 56 year old can push their 100% stock SVHO powered ski's to limit effortlessly due to cavitation. I pretty confident it isn't ventilation as i can eliminate 98% of cavitation leaning over the handlebars under full throttle. So I ordered the Solas impeller and will install. I will see how much that changes cavitation, next will be the resealing the transom plate but again I doubt that it is the issue. In the end may have to go GP1800svho or Seadoo RXP 300 (it carves like a scalpel to the point i will get nauseous ). My VXR and FXHO never ever caviatated under any conditions. Truth be told the VXR could go through a turn faster than the FX SVHO since the FX SVHO just blows out in turns and cavitates. I really need to start test driving these things before i buy
    My cavitation went away after I moved to a pump seal kit with the GEN 2 intake Grate on a stock impeller. It vanished completely. Have you checked transom alignment to pump tunnel?

What is a pump seal kit? I have 100% stock everything but cavitation burn is evident on the impeller. Transom plate is fixed in place on haul by locating stubs and nothing has moved. Pump is doweled to Transom plate so that alignment is fixed. I don't see anything obvious when looking in with flashlight as far as misalignment.

It would seam the intake grate would shine AFTER you are moving, probably help in turns. One issue is I ride where there is debris at times and the huge gap in the intake grate bars would allow something in and jamb the prop. A couple poster said hook up was great in rough water BUT in smooth water lost speed. Makes sense if i am plowing more water into pump then necessary it acts as a brake at high speeds. Guy at Riva said only sure way to kill is dual prop BUT stock SVHO would be a dog with it and need to do a tune. It should be called a intake grate kit not a pump seal kit, its sealing the intake grate not the pump....

The water pump process starts at the intake grate, the back of the grate mates up to the transom which is why it's called that I assume. It's important to create a flow for the entirety of the water going into the pump without any air/voids to disrupt it. I look at it as a whole. Just filling in the shoe portion of the grate to the back of the transom would be a huge improvement.

The GEN 2 is great beginning to end IMO - I have had the GEN 1 variant of the grate and also stock, I banged the limiter with both of them on take off.

Assuming your wear ring is in good shape / bundling that impeller, new grate, and sealing it should net positive results for you. You could fill the voids of the stock intake grate yourself, I've never done it but it's worth a shot.

Thanks. I try the impeller and go from there. I am surprised with transom sealing issues. Yamaha uses three bond which is very good stuff. I suspect they are using what is equivalent to the 3M 4200 vs 5200. Problem with 5200 is you will tear the nano cell off you transom if you ever have to remove.....

Thanks. I try the impeller and go from there. I am surprised with transom sealing issues. Yamaha uses three bond which is very good stuff. I suspect they are using what is equivalent to the 3M 4200 vs 5200. Problem with 5200 is you will tear the nano cell off you transom if you ever have to remove.....
    4200 will probably be more than enough, far superior to whatever they used. What they use does not even bond to the transom side at all - I had zero cleanup on that surface, all of it was stuck to the hull.

11. +1 by:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information