2016 TR-1 reliability?

Hey!

I'm eyeing a 2016 V1 Sport ("high output" ) with very little hours (afaik it's been sort of a backup craft for a dude who's mainly just used his boat), but I've read that the TR-1 isn't as reliable as the old 1.8L. Googling around and searching this forum (and others) gives me some anecdotal evidence about various issues with rods breaking and what not. What's the consensus, are these just some rare unfortunate events as every engine can fail somehow, or is the engine crap and I should just find an older ski with the 1.8L? Is there anything in particular that could improve reliability with this engine, like the obvious don't-get-water-in-it, or changing some parts to newer revisions or something?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboradar View Post
    2016 V1 Sport ("high output" ) with very little hours

I've read that the TR-1 isn't as reliable as the old 1.8L.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 YAMAHA V1 SPORT REVIEW
    The engine is the now-familiar 1,052cc MR-1, which produces about 110 horsepower.
    https://www.personalwatercraft.com/m...view-1356.html

Do not confuse the MR-1 engine with the newer TR-1 engine, they are quite different.

What the actual... I thought it's the TR-1. Several sources also claim that, e.g..

http://www.boatmaginternational.com/...ce-aquabikers/

... The TR-1 HO (standing for High Output) is 13% more powerful than the previous 4-cylinder Yamaha MR-1 unit it replaces, despite being 40% smaller and 20% lighter (just 73 Kg). Thanks to this, the WaveRunner V1 Sport stops the scale at just 309 Kg, 29 kilos less than the 2015 model. ...
    Also this YouTube video shows the three cyl TR-1 (at 1:53, I don't know how to prevent vBulletin embedding it)

+1
    What the actual... I thought it's the TR-1.
    Hmmm, looks like 2016 was the first year for the 1050cc TR-1 engine while 2015 was the last year for the 1100 MR-1 engine (in most VX models, if not all).

Sometimes Yamaha would keep the year older base model available for lowest price buyers and rental fleets in some markets. And sometimes the model/series naming also gets rearranged during the year-to-year transitions. I do not know whether some of that was happening around the time your V1 Sport was introduced.

I seem to recall Yamaha using the Sport, V1 and even V2 designations for prior model year or content reduced models, sometimes only for the rental markets.

Yamaha introduced the 1.8 liter SVHO engine in 2014 to replace SHO.

2015 was the first year for the RiDE electronic neutral and braking system (which I very much like).
    Also in 2015 Yamaha completely redesigned the VXR hull, which eventually became available on all VX models. During the transition the older hull VX remained available

https://watercraftjournal.com/galler...runner-lineup/

+1
    Back in 2017 I bought a new VX Deluxe, my buddy picked up a used 15 VXD also. The two where basically identical on top, but the difference was the power plant . His MR1 was so quiet at idle, TR1 was obnoxiously loud. Sitting side by side, I would have to shut mine off just to talk. Cruising thru No Wake zones the drone would drive my insane ( ear plugs recommend ). I could beat him in a drag race, but not by much. Obviously due to the reduced weight. In the chop he’d pass me due to the extra weight.
    As far of the dependability of the TR1, depends on Break In. After my 21 GP 1800 HO didn’t get built, I wound up with a 22 VX Limited. Same TR1 motor, loud and raspy. I did the first maintenance at 11 hours and believe me, you do not want whatever Yamaha uses for break in any longer then that. The Shit looked like a bad cup of Coffee. So! Other than what I learned, the average person wouldn’t know and with proper break in and maintenance the TR1 will give you years of trouble free fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seamurph View Post
    TR1 was obnoxiously loud. Sitting side by side, I would have to shut mine off just to talk. Cruising thru No Wake zones the drone would drive my insane ( ear plugs recommend ). ...
    The 1.8 liter Yamaha engine is very smooth and generally not very loud, especially with the factory air intake.

For buyers that can afford the 1.8 liter powered Yamaha, that would be my recommendation. It is one of, if not the, best marine PWC engine currently available.

Ok, thank you guys for all the information. Unfortunately I can't really cough up the money for a new PWC, except perhaps the low spec Spark, but I'd rather avoid BRP altogether, and where I'm at the used market is kind of stale, even during season. I think I'll go and have a looksee at that V1 (it's 150 miles away).

+1
    where I'm at the used market is kind of stale, even during season. ...
    Click on My Profile, top right corner of web site. Add your location.

Sometimes there are other GH members nearby that may have local info or offer assistance.

Thread Information