Thread: K

Unhappy K

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7817.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	482097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7822.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	482098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-24 130134.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	482099  
    Last edited by DTHNZ; 01-25-2022 at 05:11 AM.

+1
    Waiting is not advised. More damage will occur if the engine runs.
    Making the repair now will for sure be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    Waiting is not advised. More damage will occur if the engine runs.
    Making the repair now will for sure be more effective.
    Thanks. I guess what I'm asking, is it worth it for me to pay $1200 just for them to take the engine out and look at it at this stage, or should I ride for 2-3 hours and then assess the condition of the filter? I don't know when the oil filter was last changed, and it rides great with smooth acceleration, no knocking, etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DTHNZ View Post
    Thanks. I guess what I'm asking, is it worth it for me to pay $1200 just for them to take the engine out and look at it at this stage, or should I ride for 2-3 hours and then assess the condition of the filter? I don't know when the oil filter was last changed, and it rides great with smooth acceleration, no knocking, etc.
    Pay allot now, or pay allot more later. You want zero damaged parts in your engine. Front cover needs to come off and replace any damaged parts. You may have gotten lucky relatively speaking if the damaged is limited to the front cover. If you keep riding it will get worse. 1200 feels a bit steep to pull an engine and pop the front cover off. What kind of hourly rate are they quoting and exactly what are they going to inspect. Get a best case and worse case diagnosis. I'd get it all in writing. Been a while since I've pulled a motor but I feel like it only took me about 2 hours or so. I'm guessing about 4 hours should be about fair to pull motor inspect under front cover when you include the general dick around factor. Once fixed then you'll need to pay them to put it back in. Some of the parts under the front cover are pretty expensive. Click on the OEM PARTS link above and you can get an idea of what you're dealing with. By the way there are tons of used 260 motor parts around.

+1
    First, I am sorry you are facing this. I too feel that it needs to be fixed or you will be in search of a whole engine. Keep in mind that all of that debris in the filter first went through both oil pumps so I have to believe they will need to be replaced too. I see three options here:

1) Pull it and fix it right...it’s going to be expensive! As suggested, you might want them to give you some estimates before starting the work.

2) Put a new filter in and cross your fingers. You ‘might’ get away with it but I think you’ll find most of us here don’t think you will. Ask what it would cost for a new engine install because that is what you are risking.

3) Sell it as-is, disclosing the issue, and buy a new ski. It might be worth a little more to a DIY guy who doesn’t have to pay for the labor to fix it.

+1
    Sucks but it looks like someone dumped their problem onto you. Looks like it will need a new flywheel, starter components, oil pump(s) will be rough but hopefully front PTO housing is salvageable. Timing chain should be replaced seeing how the gears are damaged so something could have also touched the chain and you don't want that letting go later.

It being a suspension ski doesn't help when it comes to labor cost.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DTHNZ View Post
    Absolutely! Do not run that engine again until this is done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Sucks but it looks like someone dumped their problem onto you. Looks like it will need a new flywheel, starter components, oil pump(s) will be rough but hopefully front PTO housing is salvageable. Timing chain should be replaced seeing how the gears are damaged so something could have also touched the chain and you don't want that letting go later.

It being a suspension ski doesn't help when it comes to labor cost.
    Ah...missed that being a suspension ski. Labor seems about right then. I actually at a 2014 RXTX-AS, it was cool for it's time...but I wouldn't touch one with a 100ft pole now.

9. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    looks like a money pit to me

engine needs a complete tear down

labor times on IS skis are very high, because of the time needed to actually remove/replace the deck to access the engine

consider a part out, if you can get out and lose under $1000 you're actually SAVING yourself some cash in the long term

+1
    Sell it for $500 - $1000 less than you paid for it and try again. Unless you can and are willing to do the work yourself, selling it will be the best financial option for you.

12. +1 by:

Thread Information