Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering buying a low hour 2011 VXR. Are these good skis?

Looking tp buy a nice 38 hour 2011 VXR tomorrow morning and just wondering if there were any major problems on these skis? I have always had the MR1 VX110 models and hoping this model is as reliable and a little more go go. Any input is greatly appreciated!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayt1 View Post
    Looking tp buy a nice 38 hour 2011 VXR tomorrow morning and just wondering if there were any major problems on these skis? I have always had the MR1 VX110 models and hoping this model is as reliable and a little more go go. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    They are great skis! I'd jump all over it! Let me tell you my 2013 VXR story.

For 20 years, I'd owned and ridden nothing but small, 2-strokes until the summer of 2014 when my buddy bought a pair of used Honda Turbo F-12X couches. We were out in the inter-coastal waterways of north Florida (before I moved to TX) with our families and a total of four skis. He asked me if I wanted to ride one of his Hondas and of course I said, "yes!" Jeff and I are both aggressive riders and I couldn't believe how those large, heavy Hondas could cut and carve at full throttle through the twisty, saltwater, bayou waterways. We were like two fighter jets flying in formation at full throttle cutting and carving through the twisty waterways. So much fun and I was instantly sold on modern 4-strokes.

It was still two years later before I bought my first 4-stroke. It was Feb 2016 and I bought a leftover, new old stock, brand spanking new 2013 Yamaha VXR (blue) from a DFW Yamaha dealer. I'd never ridden a VXR so I had no idea how good that ski was. Had I known, I would've purchased the leftover 2014 VXR (red) that they also had! Amazing how good that VXR handles but the newer models handle even better.

Next month, I'll have owned the ski for 6 years and I still love that ski. It has been 100% reliable and has never given me one bit of trouble. The newer versions of the VXR (2015 and newer) do handle a little better but not all that much better. The newer models do have Yamaha's "RiDE" which is nice. The older VXRs are faster on the top end by as much as 3mph vs the newer models. I know of no major problems with the older VXR skis.

You will LOVE the tremendous amount of extra power over the MR1s. You'll be grinning from ear to ear for sure
    !
    Last edited by dannyual777; 01-24-2022 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added text

+1
    I love that 2013 VXR so much that about 2 years later, I bought a used 2012 VXS that you can see in my signature. It's the same ski as the VXR but the seat is shaped differently. Everything else is the same.

When I test drove the used 2012 VXS, I made sure that I took a gps unit with me to test the top speed ability of used ski. I knew that my 2013 VXR had run as high as 67.5 mph on good smooth water in the cool of the off season months. I remember the VXS running 66.X mph on water that wasn't perfect and it was July. I knew that used ski was running perfectly.

Please test ride that 2011 before buying it. I highly recommend that you use a gps to check the speed. The speedometers are notoriously inaccurate.

My VXR and VXS run neck and neck with each other.

+1
    10+ year & 38 hrs ?? Man that engine water jacket zinc anode deterioration/contamination has got to be wicked by now !!
    This is going to be way way less an importance on MR1 -vs- 1.8L NA, and more about the craft age/sitting.
    If you'd not looked at or bought used ski's before, a craft THAT old needs to be thoroughly inspected/tested - else it makes absolutely no difference on the power-plant generation. There are countless "used ski - what should I look for" posts on this board. No-need to repeat all that great advise.

BTW, I find the 1.8L NA far superior over the MR1.
    And good thing you are not considering an MR1 based craft ... (especially the few still in the wild), in that the market is flooded with inferior replicas/clones/knock-offs now, which retain JUST enough quality to "make the sale" by low-morale individuals.

I owned a VXR and FXHO and hands down any day of the week if you ride in anything but smooth water the FXHO is superior and if the FXHO has trim is as fast as the 2011 VXR without trim. VXR is an assbeater, great engine. I would look for a 2016 or new FXHO plus you get the new and improved timing chain which was never a huge issue without the supercharger. I disagree with time bandit on low hours and years. the block dries itself completely in about 3 weeks time so if this ski wasnt used for years it sat bone dry. If you can get for $7K or less not bad but if more than $7K look for FXHO.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRider View Post
    VXR is an assbeater, great engine.

I would look for a 2016 or new FXHO. ...
    VXR hull changed in 2015. Pre-2015 VXR is quite different from 2015 onwards VXR.

FX hull changed in 2019 and again for 2022. Each generation is different.

The Yamaha 1.8 is a great engine.

+1
    If you go the FX HO route. U could get a 2009+ since they all have the 1.8 engine. 09-11 was one hull. 2012-2018 was the updated hull and complete new look. But all have trim. My old 2007 fxho with the MR1 engine with the riva RPM kit had a similar (if not same) hull as the 09-11 and was great in choppy water. In really light chop I would keep up with my friends 2019 VXR no problem. But like everyone else said. Go with the 1.8 engine. Deff better and easier to service then the MR1 in my opinion. I’m pretty sure only the SVHO 1.8 had the timing chain issue. I don’t believe the HO engines had that. But I may be wrong. And pre 2012 FX are very hard to find parts for such as gunwales. They are either used and beat up. Or new and super expensive. I replace the 2 fronts on my old FX and they were over $100 each. So think of that also when buying an older model if having a clean ski is important to u. My 2016 fx cost me $160 for all 3 front pieces and they were available without any issue

when i got on my buddies vxr after the 2016 fxho it was like getting on a tinny, noisey ass beating ride. I would never go back to a vxr. Only time is if water is like glass I cuts much harder in turns. I went from riding 20-40 miles on vxr and being done for day to 100 plus mile rides on fxho and now looking at 200 mile rides. no comparison for me. Super sweet spot is FX SVHO. now you have it all, great ride great power, fuel economy sucks...... cant have it all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRider View Post
    when i got on my buddies vxr after the 2016 fxho it was like getting on a tinny, noisey ass beating ride. I would never go back to a vxr. Only time is if water is like glass I cuts much harder in turns. I went from riding 20-40 miles on vxr and being done for day to 100 plus mile rides on fxho and now looking at 200 mile rides. no comparison for me. Super sweet spot is FX SVHO. now you have it all, great ride great power, fuel economy sucks...... cant have it all
    totally agree, it’s fun to rip up my buddies 2019 VXR in coves, but always love getting back on my FX where I feel at home. It’s like a V series Cadillac.

1update1111 The ski actually had 78 hours on it and I got it with a super nice Roadmaster trailer for $5500! I thought it was a steal! Original owner and always serviced at the dealer and garage kept in the Dallas area. I cannot wait for summer now!

Very clean but has a few minor little scratches. Where can I get touch up paint for the silver metallic color?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information